Thursday, July 02, 2020

Olivia And The Beach

A lazy morning. I didn't do much but a few minor chores and poke around on the Internet. For lunch, I spread two flatbreads (something like soft tacos, but elongated) with avocado, added sliced chicken and lettuce, and rolled them up. Packed them and a can of Modelo (Mexican beer) and met Olivia in the middle at 12:30.
Knowing she's very virus and germ phobic, I suggested we eat at one of the rectangular tables, which I think are about six feet, so we wouldn't be closer to each other. Fine with her, but before we sat down, she put on rubber gloves and pulled a container of Clorox wipes out of her bag. She proceeded to use several to rub down the entire table top. Twice. Since my stuff was wrapped in aluminum foil, it wasn't going to touch the table top, but I didn't mind her libations.
Olivia brought only two containers, one with tomato soup, the other with coffee. I think she was afraid to take off her mask--that is, masks, as she wears two--long enough to chew anything. She only sipped at them now and then, anyway. She doesn't take off her masks to talk, either; she slips the top one down, says something, then puts it up again.
I think I'm making her sound like a real nut, but actually, I enjoyed her company. We stayed talking for two hours. She's still mourning the loss of her mother, who lived with her for twenty years--and 
dealing with the end of her marriage. She told the old story: She thought he was happy, as she was, but he started an affair with his secretary and they had a child. The two are now married.
We also talked about religion. She was raised Catholic, but broke away when she was still young. I'm not sure if she was married in the church or not. She now  professes no religion at all. Incidentally, considering she has two daughters in their thirties, I think she's probably in her late fifties or early sixties. Both daughters and her ex are CPAs; no grandchildren at this point.
Anyway, it was enjoyable. We parted close to three o'clock and I took my things home and left immediately for the bus to town. Got off at Pierpoint Street and walked to the pier. I was pleased to see it's now open, so I walked down it. I was a gorgeous day, sunny and fine, although there was a cool breeze. It was so good to see people on the pier and the beach, the Promenade, and even a few in the ocean (brrr):
Walked down to the last bus stop, so I got in about four miles. Home about 5:30, after a good day.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Note to myself: Finally, at long last, Office Max has refunded my $129.99! Also, I got my medications (Atorastatin and Ramipril) yesterday from CVS Caremark, which comes in the mail. The doctor's office assistant had said I had gotten it filled (a 90-day supply) in May, so it should have lasted until August, but that couldn't be. I finally figured out that I had ordered it in May and they shipped it, but it had never come. The mail has been terrible since the era of CO-VID. 

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...