Sunday, July 19, 2020

Chicken, AC, And A Wedding

Lots going on and not all to the good.
After breakfast, I jumped in immediately with food prep. I had defrosted the rest of the very large chicken thighs I had bought weeks ago, oiled, seasoned, and roasted them, then stored in the freezer.
I'm not sure why, but this occupation is mildly satisfying for me. Not, of course, as satisfying as a cold beer on a hot day, but enjoyable, anyway.
Ellen called to say she was going over to Bed, Bath & Beyond in the afternoon and did I want her to stop in and bring me some tomatoes and cucumbers? Is the pope...? Does a bear...? Of course, I did.
Walked to Smart 'N' Final and, while I was there, my niece Maureen, returned my call. I had wanted news about my brother, Frank, to whom I hadn't spoken for a month or more. It turns out he's much worse--that's the progression of Alzheimer's--but I don't want to go into detail. I did talk to him, too, and he sounded fairly normal, but I know he isn't.
If that wasn't a downer enough, I got a text from the air conditioning guy, saying the unit has to be replaced. He'll text me an estimate, but will first add some of the fuelant, or whatever it is, as a stop-gap measure. Wouldn't you know, a heat wave is expected on the east coast.
When I got home, I called my friends, Susan and Walter G., who live across from my place in Sunrise Bay. As it turned out, they had had to replace their AC system last year. Walter said he got three estimates and the one they chose charged $4500. Ouch, but in truth, I was worried it would be in the double digits. Anyway, I haven't heard back from Will, yet, so we'll see. Walter also gave me the names of the guy who did theirs, and another. I do want to get other estimates.
El came about 4:00 and brought me some delicious cherry tomatoes and a cucumber--home grown, of course. We sat out front chatting, always more enjoyable to me than almost any activity.* 
Gail called to remind me that we're meeting in a few hours today (at 10) to walk over the foot bridge and to the park. She's 69, very tall and thin, and is a dedicated walker/biker. I like her, but it's a bit difficult to keep up with her at five foot two.
Betty called to launch into a tirade about one of her long-time (they graduated from Miseracordia together sixty-odd years ago) with whom she had a falling out before she left Jersey. This person had called her, presumably to try to repair their friendship, but no dice with Betty. This is so depressing. I know her friend must be distressed over it and I sympathize. I think I'll call her later.
*Waiting for El, I saw Suzanne in her patio (ours adjoin) and we talked a bit. I was interested to hear that her brother is going to officiate at a niece's wedding, which Suzanne will attend. Oh, he's a priest? Why, no, he got his credentials by mail order. WHAT?! And Suzanne is okay with it? And it's being held in a field in Iowa?  Sister Leo must be spinning in her.... I can hardly get my mind around this, but I'm intrigued.



No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...