Monday, September 04, 2017

Dudley House

Walked Kimball, had breakfast, did the crossword, and ran out to the store for blueberries. As I was getting in the car, I saw a tall, very thin man shuffling toward me on a walker. I surmised this was the "Ken" Suzanne had mentioned and was trying to help. I introduced myself and we chatted for ten minutes or so.
Ken has cataracts and can see very little. He can no longer drive and, according to Suzanne, is alone in the world. He had been an industrial engineer, never married, and seemingly, has no relatives at all. (That's a situation difficult for me to grasp, as I'm so rich in family, immediate and extended.) Anyway, I hope I can help in some way.
Showered, then dressed for Dudley House. My outfit looks good, but hoo-boy, was it hot with that stuff on. We're having a very uncharacteristic heat wave of 80s and 90s and Dudley House is not, of course, air-conditioned. However, I got there, Lynn and other docent, Connie, came shortly and I actually enjoyed the day. We had a total of nine people in four groups, all of whom were very interested and appreciative. I was simply a greeter, but I tried to incorporate some extra zing into my presentation by introducing myself as Caroline Dudley and giving a few facts about the house. The place is open for tours on the first Sunday of the month from 1 to 4. The three of us were able to chat in between "customers" and it was very enjoyable. I asked docent director Lynn for some brochures, which I'll bring to the VCS meeting this month.
Got home just as Suzanne did and I asked her to take my picture in the docent outfit. I changed and we then sat outside and talked for a half hour or so; always a pleasure to do that. Called Betty after dinner, as yesterday was the fourteenth anniversary of her Jay's death; we had a good, sisterly talk.
For the second day, I didn't get to the town walk, but will resume today.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...