Thursday, August 31, 2017

Peace Boat

As usual, I walked Kimball, then sat down to breakfast with the Ventura Star. I was interested to read that Veterans for Peace (I'm friends with them on Facebook) had docked a "peace boat" at Peninsula Park in Oxnard. The article said they'd have tours between 1 and 3 pm and I determined to get there.
Called the computer guy somebody on Nextdoor recommended and left a message to call me back. I hope he does and I hope he can fix Word.
After lunch, I went to Wal-Mart first to get a thin black ribbon to add to my docent costume, then drove to Oxnard. Found the boat and its crew without much trouble and chatted with the captain, Jerry, and mate, Robert. They invited me to a covered dish last evening in Camerillo, but that's a bit far for me to drive in the dark, so I begged off.
Went from there to town for the afternoon sojourn. Sat and read for a bit in the library (incredibly, what I dipped into was a book on the Enron scandal, Conspiracy of Fools). By the time I got back to my car, it was almost 5:00.
When I got home, I saw that Suzanne had her door open, so stopped in to chat. She had told me about an elderly man--"Ken"--who lives here and has been having difficulty of many kinds. He may have had a small stroke and also, can barely see, as he needs cataracts removed. Suzanne took him food shopping, then helped him put the stuff away. She said the apartment is in great disarray and is also pretty dirty. The fact that he lives on the second floor is really problematic, it seems to me, as he's in his middle eighties and uses a walker. I know I've seen him around and asked Suzanne to let me know if I can help. She has a call in to a friend who works in human services, so we hope to get him help.
Haven't heard back from the computer guy. If he doesn't respond today, I'll call somebody else.

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...