Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Lunch And Rehearsal Yet Again

We finally got to The Old Causeway for lunch. Picked Aline up at our usual--12:30--and traveled to Bay Avenue, Manahawkin, under cloudy skies.
Susan had asked me to give her a full report on the place, as it's her turn shortly to host her dinner group.  I can tell her the food was excellent; I had a "'po' boy" (fried oyster sandwich), which was delish washed down with a cold one on draft.  Service was friendly and efficient, although the place was packed.  Nice atmosphere, also, without too many cliche-ridden decorations (the nets and oars and lobster traps in most of these nautical-themed places leave me cold), and big windows looking out over the marsh.  The only negative, it seemed to me, was that the place was rather noisy--not, though, due to my pet peeve, loud elevator music, but simply with people talking, so it wasn't a big minus.
After, we explored a bit, then drove to the SOCH Thrift Store, which I had enriched with my treasures a few days prior.  Aline wanted to look for a top to wear in the show. Tried a few on, but didn't find any. I then took her to Unshredded Nostalgia to see the fabulous room after room of antiques and "collectibles"--every item imaginable--over which she oohed and aahed.
After--by this time, it was pouring--I took her to my place to see the Little Precious on the whistle-blowing video, plus some of the American Jewish Life newspapers, for which I wrote so long ago.
Took her home about 4:00, then jumped in the shower, dressed, and drove back to pick her up for rehearsal.
Because it was raining, we met inside, concentrating on the second act.  It was great fun to sing in the chorus and back up the soloists; all are just terrific.  The show includes "an unknown stranger" and the guy who's going to play it (a very small part) is our mayor, Art Midgley.  He came last night and gamely, if woodenly, recited his lines.  I thought it was a stroke of genius on Jim's part to invite him to be in the show; not only should it--we hope--draw other township officials, but it'll be funny and cute to have the well-known mayor of Little Egg Harbor Township on board.
Art himself seems the quintessential small-town official.  Short, chubby, and bland as only a small-town official can be, he's about 60 or so, and puts me in mind of one of those old-time character actors who used to make a good living in Capra movies.
Still raining when we got home, but it was before 9:00, which was fine by me.  My wine and chips, then bed, and slept like a babe.  

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...