Monday, August 18, 2014

Fine and Fun

Now this was a fun day.  I left early to meet Betty in Margate for lunch; thought I'd be held up on the Parkway, but wasn't, so stopped at Mary H.'s.  Had a nice chat with her.  Jokingly asked if she was going to the reunion, but I knew she wouldn't, as she hates them. Said she went to the twenty-fifth and the fiftieth, so would attend every twenty-five years.  She pointed out that the only people from our class she wanted to see, she already did, and she had a point. Said there were too many people who considered high school the best part of their lives and thought what came after was mostly downhill.  Yep.
Left Mary's with a good fifteen minutes to get to Margate and the restaurant--plenty of time. However, I hadn't remembered the damn parking situation.  Drove around for more than twenty minutes, trying to find a spot; what a drag.  Finally parked back on Monmouth Avenue, several blocks from the restaurant.  Got there in an annoyed mood, vowing never again to meet somebody on the island in the summer for lunch...
...which was silly, and I simmered down quickly.  Had a rare, rare--yum!--hamburger and a Blue Moon.  We got to the theatre in plenty of time; show was at 2:00 and we had excellent seats on the third row aisle.
The show was terrific.  It was The Sound of Music, performed by congregants of Beth El Synagogue, many of whom are friends of mine from Players & Playwrights.  (P & P was founded by people from that temple.)  I never cared for the movie; I think the story line--heavily fictionalized, whether people know it or not--is saccharine and what's sung might realistically be called "McMusic."
This, however, was a stage play, of course, and we found it greatly enjoyable.  My friend, Dayle F., played a nun, but was just in the chorus.  It was double-casted (why don't we do that sometimes?), and my friend, Denise B., who has a fairly major supporting role in half, was to go on in the evening performance.  Sorry I didn't get to see her on stage, but she was there after and we chatted with her.
Left about 5:00 and happily, traffic was light.  All in all, a fine, fun day.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...