Monday, August 11, 2014

Not A Lot And Bombs Away

Before our walk, I brought Susan half of the big watermelon I got from the farm.  She was pleased, as her in-laws are renting a house on Long Beach Island, and she'll take it there.
Did lots of wash, put together a salad, prepared beets and other veggies from the farm, and otherwise completed chores.
Worked for several hours on the first act of Fatal Family Reunion, which I intend to have read on Saturday. I'm annoyed with myself because I have several different versions and am not sure I dug out and am honing the best.  Also, this is a murder mystery dinner show--not the usual with Players & Playwrights and don't know how it will be received.
Recorded my "cue lines" for Tony and the Heiress and rehearsed.  I should be off-book for rehearsal tonight.
Took a drive to Forked River to clear my head in the afternoon and to Acme after dinner.  Betty called and we chatted, making a tentative date for early dinner on Saturday; I'll be in the area for the P & P meeting.  Other than that, not a whole lot went on.
WIDER:  "When countless innocent people are facing a massacre, and when we have the ability to help prevent it—the United States can’t just look away," the President said. "That’s not who we are. We’re Americans.  We act.  We lead.  And that’s what we’re going to do on that mountain."
The Dear One was, of course, talking about those sitting ducks in Gaza. Bombs will be dropped on Tel Aviv, in order to save the Palestinians from the on-going slaughter....  
Oh, wait just a minute--I've got the wrong innocent people.  It's Iraq's innocent people we're bombing, I guess.  Well, what the Hell; there are innocent people all over the world just waiting for us to come and bomb them.  I mean, bomb their oppressors. That is, bomb them and their oppressors.  Or something.... BOMBS AWAY!

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

I laughed for a moment. Then I stopped. It's not funny, of course. But the way you put it IS funny. How can something be funny and completely hideous at the same time? This surely is a crazy world we're living in.

And, oddly enough, I actually don't think us 'Murkins are any crazier than most people. It's just that our craziness is more important: amplified by our condition, at the end of WW II, as the only player whose industrial base didn't get the hell bombed out of it. I do believe, though, that the resulting economic momentum has pretty well died out by now. Good thing, too.

Mimi said...

No, of course we're no crazier than other people; to believe otherwise would buy into the "chosen people" myth. I do think our customs, which we've exported to others, are different and, maybe, not as healthy as those in some other countries. I'm thinking of Japan here, and my older son's way of life, especially when it comes to his and his wife's child.

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...