Friday, June 27, 2014

The Farm And A Birthday

Spent most of the morning on mundane minutia.  Made and returned a few calls.  Wrapped my precious great-grandson's birthday present.  Was annoyed to receive a letter from Prime Management to the effect that I have mold on my house which must be removed within thirty days.
Here we have yet another of the OMIGOSH, IT'S TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, WE SHOULD BE TERRIFIED, THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END type exaggerated and trumped-up fears designed to make the citizenry cowed and docile, the better to keep them in line, doncha know?  I realize that some mold might cause some people--those with respiratory problems, maybe--problems, but on the side of a house in the open air?  Gimme a break. Seems to me this dovetails with the infamous "expiration date" scam which, ever anxious to be bilked, so many take so seriously.
Left for the farm about 2:00 and got there at 3:30.  Signed in for my friend and me, and got kale, cucumbers, lettuce, Swiss chard, garlic scapes,* and even some small tomatoes.  The only thing ready to pick oneself was herbs and I took only chives because I'm not sure what to do with fennel and lemon balm.
Got to my friend's house and we chatted while preparing dinner. The beautiful boys arrived shortly after and we caught up with them, then had dinner.
After, we Sang That Song to J. who will be 12 tomorrow, and he opened his presents.  Little T., 7 in August, got some, too--books and socks.  We had cupcakes and ice cream and then--
In a nutshell:  At least ten years ago, I had bought a "Party Popper," a cardboard cylinder about three feet long, intending to use it at somebody's birthday.  However, I put it away and forgot about it. Just came across it and brought it along. I had no idea--and neither did anyone else--what, exactly, it was supposed to do, so we decided to use it outdoors.
Not the best idea in the world, maybe.  My friend held it at an angle facing outward, broke the seal, twisted it as instructed, and--
POP!  A shower of confetti, crepe paper, and shiny stuff shot into the air and settled on grass, bushes, and walkway.
It was quite festive and very impressive for about a second and a half and after that, the four of us spent almost an hour cleaning it up. We all laboriously gathered up the tiny pieces we could reach, then my friend and her husband brought out two vacuum cleaners to get the rest in the foliage and the debris that covered the ground.
We finally got most of it, then kissed goodbye.  Got home by 8:00 after a funny-fun day.  
* I didn't know what garlic scapes are, either, until my friend filled me in. They're the thin, green, curved "flower stalks" of hardneck garlic plants which you can use sauteed or in salads, as you would regular garlic.  Think I'll stir fry some with my Swiss chard.    
    

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...