Friday, June 13, 2014

Rob and Jan

Rob and Jan got here just at 5:00--perfect timing, as I had completed all the dinner prep and chores and was just looking forward to seeing them.
What a neat couple they are!  I hadn't met Jan before, but we instantly bonded.  She's so full of life and verve, and so open and good-hearted--what a wonderful match for quietly contemplative Rob.  Of course, I'm older than both of them, but not by many decades and, in the most important ways, we're exceedingly compatible.  I feel we're more like friends than aunt/nephew and lady love.
We sat and talked over iced tea and beer, then I served dinner--modest, but good--of lemon pepper chicken, green salad, red potatoes, crystal pickles, and for dessert, vanilla ice cream and--ta dah!--the strawberries I had picked myself.*
Continued to talk and talk until we all turned in about 9:30.  I got up at the usual 5:15 and walked with Susan; they slept longer, then we had breakfast together.  Right now, Rob and Jan are taking a walk around the neighborhood, after which we'll leave for Ventnor to pick up Betty.  What fun it is to have them here!
* Ever mindful of my dear son, Mike's, great interest in hearing what particular menu I served, I wouldn't dream of omitting it.  Oh, yes, I made bacon and eggs for breakfast for Rob and Jan, and I had my usual cottage cheese on pumpernickel and half an orange.  Whew!
Almost left that out.


1 comment:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I admire the way you can whip up such a tasty sounding meal. I would be a nervous wreck cooking for others. You do it with such aplomb. You've had more practice than I...but still....

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...