Friday, June 06, 2014

Figgy, The Farmerette

Boy, am I stiff and sore, but it's a good feeling because I worked hard yesterday.
Left for the farm at 11:00 and got there about 12:15.  I was surprised to see the "parking lot" (it's really just a casually cleared area in a field) was almost full.  Other times, I've been with my friend and we arrived late in the day.  I suppose earlier hours are the favored times for young people--there were several there with little children--and those retired or otherwise unemployed, like me.
Got a spot, though, and put on my boots before making my way to the barn.  Good thing, as it had rained earlier and the place was just a sea of mud.  Signed in and checked the whiteboard to see which already harvested goodies I could take out of the crates.  A bonanza: Bright green and ruffled lettuce; a big bunch of radishes; both regular and "baby" bok choy; spinach; cilantro; and two different greens, one of which is kale and the other--?  It's a mystery veggie which was listed, but I don't remember what it's called.  No prob, I'll stir-fry it with garlic and I'm sure will enjoy it.
After selecting my barn bounty and putting it in the plastic bags provided, I took it back to the car, then headed out to the strawberry fields. (Hey, that might make a nice song if a word was added. Strawberry Fields Unending?  Strawberry Fields Eternal? Strawberry Fields To A Fare-Thee-Well? I'll have to think about it.)
I had noted the amount of strawberries permitted for our category: five quarts!  Great, but a tad daunting; last week, it took me a fair amount of time to fill just one quart container.  But off I went and it really wasn't too difficult.  It was a little scary making my way to the area--way out in the north forty or whatever it is--because of the mud; I'm very leery of falling and it was precarious, but I made it.
The berries were at their peak, bright red and hanging off the plants begging to be taken home and enjoyed.
I left my jacket (it had gotten hot) and the empty containers on a convenient table near the rows, and picked slowly and carefully. After each was filled, I'd get another and before too long--well, almost an hour as I didn't want to rush--I was finished.  Got back to the car and loaded in my berries, changed out of my muddy boots, and triumphantly drove off with Nature's gifts.
Stopped at my friend's and left off her items after dividing as best I could: two-thirds for her and one for me.  Drove home, had a very late, sketchy lunch (it was almost 4:00 and I was starved), then luxuriated in a warm shower--heavenly!
I woke up this morning stiff and sore, having called little used muscles into play, but I knew I would.  Took a few aspirins and will be ready for my walk with Susan in a few minutes.  Just call me Figgy, the Farmerette!*
*I have a picture of my mother in a farmer's straw hat and overalls, taken in about 1920 when she was eighteen, with that notation on the back.  The "Figgy"?  Her maiden name was Figenshu.  
  
        

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...