Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Susan And Viv

Spent most of the early part of the day getting my F.O.C.U.S. presentation into shape.  I still need to do more, but it's close to being finished--good thing, because the first session is tomorrow.
Susan stopped over about 2:00 to give me some of the leftover little sandwiches she had made for the Rosary Altar Society at St. Theresa's.  I invited her to sit on my porch and chat for a bit and we did.
She told me about the present intrigue in the Rosary Altar Society, which entails an incompetent former president, others jockeying for position, plus hurt feelings all around. Susan has agreed to take over the office of treasurer, adding to her myriad other activities.  To me, most of them seem so boring and time-consuming, I'd rather stick a fork in my eye.  I sometimes think of Susan as a throwback to a much earlier time.  She told me once she was nostalgic for the fifties, which she considers the glory days--when Eisenhower was in office and things were as they're supposed to be. She honestly believes the world and society had a particular optimal setting which resulted in the ideal era.  Since then, I suppose, we've veered off that virtuous course, which is why we have such distressing new stuff, such as people protesting injustice and the lack of "respect" for our betters.  As ever after a talk with Susan, California looks better and better.
Met Viv, my Wellspouse friend, at TGIFriday's and we had a good visit along with bourbon hamburgers and Budweiser.  Her husband, who has had MS for more than twenty years, is no better--in fact, is worse and can now move only one hand.  It's funny that, although I've known Viv for only about six years, and we're in touch no more than every four or five months, I'm much more intimate with her--in the sense of freely sharing emotions and concerns--than I am with Susan, who I see virtually every day.  There's a barrier there that hasn't been breached.
More significantly maybe, I don't want to breach it.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Boy Rosemary, I surely understand what you're saying about a barrier in some relationships. Sometimes it's not worth trying to remove it, and just enjoy the superficiality of the relationship as it is. I need to have relationships where I can share my intimate and personal self. Can't do it with everyone, but sometimes it's hard to find even one person with whom we can be our true selves. I treasure those folks. In Virginia Beach and Pensacola finding just one group with like minded interests helped, but it's been difficult here in this conservative part of NJ. That old saying about many acquaintances ...few friends is sooo true. I consider you one of my friends.

Mimi said...

Pat, thank you; I greatly appreciate the comment. Yes, indeed, we are real friends and I'm happily anticipating seeing you on the 18th--yay!

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...