Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Checkup, Veggies, And Iraq

Up at 5:30--I slept an extra fifteen--coffeed, showered, dressed, did my blog and e-mail things, and was at the doctor's office a bit before 7:00.
Nurse took BP, which she said was very good--something over something else.  Took my weight, which I carefully avoided looking at, as I know it's perfect for my height--not!  Dawn, whom I know well, the nurse practitioner (or doctor's assistant, I never remember which), came in and did the insurance-demanded exam.
Interestingly, I've never even laid eyes on my primary physician, but I guess that's the system now.  That seems to throw some into a tizzy, but not me; unless he's in theatre, I don't want to see him, anyway.
Dawn is with the Margate Players and I took several friends to see her in Hair Spray last year.  She's in The Wedding Singer in a few weeks; I want to attend and invite others.
We went over a lot of things and all seems well.  She does want me to see a cardiologist and get a stress test, as there seems to be some artery damage (she didn't use that word, but I don't remember her terminology), probably due to age, dammit.  I'll do that shortly.
Home before 8:00, which is why I like that first appointment whenever I can get it.  Had breakfast, then drove over to Toys 'R' Us for a gift for Joely's twelfth birthday; didn't get back until 1:00, when I tackled the greens I got last week from Honeybrook Farms.
Because we had gone away right after I picked, I had a refrig full, and it took roughly two hours to prepare it.  I trimmed, washed, and cut kale, parsley, and three other kinds of greens; I should be ashamed to admit this, but I don't know the names.  Figuring it would fly, I added a large chopped onion, Italian seasoning, and a bit of oil and put them in the slow cooker. Found a few strips of bacon I hadn't cooked for my company, fried and crumbled it, and added to the mix.  Looks good and I'll eat today.
Also prepared spinach, broccoli, and green beans, and had them for lunch.  That isn't as much as it may seem, as I had taken only a third of the allotted amount and given two-thirds to my friend.  Made a salad of the radicchio and ate some of that, too.  I still have curly endive left and today is picking day!
Added an egg and bread crumbs to the hamburger I bought on Tuesday and made meatballs, some of which I froze and some I had for dinner.
Got a call from Rosalie replete with her usual tales of woe, and one from my friend.  I plan to go to the farm, pick, bring the harvest to her house, then probably stay for dinner. The boys will be there later and we'll--I hope--go to the lake tomorrow and celebrate my oldest great-grandson's birthday.
WIDER: Department of It's All About Us:
The rapid march by ISIS from Syria into Iraq is only partly about the troubled land where the US lost almost 4,500 lives and spent nearly $1 trillion in increasingly vain hopes of establishing a stable, friendly democracy.
--Time, 6/19/14
The rest of the cover story garbage by Michael Crowley:
http://www.commondreams.org/view/2014/06/25-2

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...