Thursday, December 08, 2011

Boy oh boy, what a day! Susan and I walked in the pouring rain; I had to change from the waist down and skin out when I got home even though I had a raincoat and umbrella. Did so, then reached in the freezer for a loaf of pumpernickel--oh, no! It was soft and everything was thawed. Refrig side the same, of course.
It's a Kenmore and I called Sears for repair. Was told they charge $75 to walk in the door, plus whatever else has to be done. Fell for a $269 "deal" that would cover up to $500 in parts, or toward a new refrig if it was unrepairable. I had the Women's Club luncheon at 1:00 and was picking up Bessie F., but was told the guy would make mine the last appointment of the day and come about 4:00. Alternately, he could come today between 8 and 12, but I opted for the first.
The lunch was great fun--good food and table prizes--but I rushed home to get there by 4:00. Waited and waited and about 6:00 got a recorded call to the effect my appointment had been rescheduled; it included a number to call back. I did, hopping mad, and said I wanted him to come today. Oh, no, nothing doing, he couldn't come until Friday.
What is maybe even worse than the cynical disregard every Sears rep (oh, I know they work for some kind of outsource operation, but still...) had for my convenience is their casual indifference to my distress. I guess they're trained that way, but I wold have expected some kind of apology or condolences at least, but no. Of course, there was no explanation either, for why the commitment wasn't kept or for the falsehood that the repair person could come today. They listened to me rant and rave while the food I had in the freezer slowly thawed and never even responded. I don't know if they were in India or Indiana or Upper Japip, but they might as well have been automatons for all the reaction they showed.
Oh, just to cut this short: Put some of the frozen--or formerly frozen--stuff in neighbors' freezers, borrowed a large cooler and put more in there with ice I bought. By the time I was finished transferring everything, it was almost 8:00. I sat down with my glass of wine and popcorn and determined I'd call Anchor Appliance repair when they open at 8:00 today. Meeting Betty for our birthday lunch, so I hope they can work around that.
Whew, what a life.
(I'm a little late with this--it's 6:28--for a pleasant reason: got a Skype call from P. and N., always welcome. He was making a curry stew and she was working on a DVD index.)

2 comments:

iloveac said...

it's as you said "casual indifference" that's so aggravating when we encounter 'customer non-service'. What a joke. Hope your homeowners covers your loss.

Mimi said...

Nope, Pat, it's not covered. I just called Allstate (homeowner's) and was told the food would be covered only if the malfunction happened because of some peril or freak of nature--a hurricane or no electricity, or something. Oh, well, it prompted me to clean out both sides and I'm expecting the repair person from Anchor Appliances shortly.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...