Saturday, February 13, 2010

Just got back from our walk; I'm late with the blog because I overslept to 6:30.
I've been continuing my lifelong project of clear-out/clean-up. Yesterday, I got still more out of my closet, including a big box of Mike memorabilia. Here were his report cards from elementary school (I had forgotten he was such a good student), his baseball and bowling team items, his drawings from second grade. I was enchanted to find even the 43-year-old cards--"Congratulations On Your New Baby Boy!" I received back then. Of course, this stuff is just worthless junk, utterly meaningless, and a big waste of space, so I just threw it all out...
Ha! If I ever tried that--and the three other big boxes dedicated to his brother and sisters--my hand would wither and fall off at the wrist. I tucked the box away again where it'll stay until--who knows?
Wider: I just finished an enthralling and horrifying book, The Madoff Chronicles, subtitled Inside the Secret World of Bernie and Ruth. If you wonder how the crook could get away with his scam for not just years, but DECADES, read this book. It didn't take a genius to recognize that, almost surely, Bernie could not possibly have succeeded in bringing in such huge returns when everybody else was losing money for their clients There were any number of warning signals, some so obvious that even I, a finance illiterate, could have picked up on them. In fact, one researcher gave the SEC chapter and verse about Bernie's dealings--only to be ignored and told to go away. Just in case anybody thinks our high-level finance is carefully monitored by the SEC--read this book. The commission's sloppy operations and complete incompetence are made crystal clear. Now, are any being fired, fined, or prosecuted from that agency? I'll find out and report back.

3 comments:

iloveac said...

When you described Mikey's stuff as worthless I thought "Oh no Rosemary, you can't think that".....I was relieved to read you were just joshing.
I feel awful when I throw away photos of anyone I know, but sometimes I have to do it...like all those pictures of friends' kids they send as Christmas cards. I keep them for a while and then out they go...but family photos....gotta keep them.

Anonymous said...

Hi everybody! I don't know where to begin but hope this site will be useful for me.
I will be happy to get some assistance at the start.
Thanks and good luck everyone! ;)

sesliyes said...

thanks for sharing perfect site ı am coming everday here
sesliserbest
sevgiadresi
seslidünya
i love here ı am comın everday because perfect web sıte
sesli chat
sesliyes
seslimazi
konya chat
seslimazi
hollanda chat sitesi
sesli siteler
seslicet
uzayseslim
esesli

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...