Saturday, February 06, 2010

Gee-oh-gosh, it snowed! Wonder why nobody predicted it--hah! I got phone calls yesterday from sister Betty and brother Larry, basking in sunny climes--California and Florida, respectively--and a web cam call from Singapore son, Mike (ditto). They had all been apprised that a lotta snow was on the way in Jersey. Well, if I had been in a deep coma for days, I may not have known, but of course, it was all over the newspaper and the Internet and, for all I know, tacked up on telephone poles. I was already pretty well stocked up, but I went to Acme to get ingredients for what I'll bring to the Super Bowl party at the H.'s tomorrow. Well, it was so jammed I finally left without getting anything. No matter, I'm going to assume the guys and gals on the snow removal teams are on the job and will deliver us before the day's over. At 6:30 am, I've already seen two snowplows on my street.
Considerably worse than the snow itself is the wind; guess that's why it's called a "blizzard." It's whipping up pretty good and there are high drifts all over the place.
WIDER: Headline from Antiwar.com:
Eight Americans Died for Worthless Afghan Base
Executive Summary Notes Base Had 'No Tactical or Strategic Value'
by Jason Ditz, February 05, 2010
I wonder how parents, spouses, children--those who loved the eight human beings--felt when they recently got this news. (The slaughter took place Last October.) And what further horror it must have been to understand that, according to the story, the base would have been abandoned soon anyway. The powers-that-be just didn't get around to giving the order, but oh, well--these things happen and we can't dwell on the past, and what are you doing for lunch? There's a new restaurant downtown...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Mimi, Nice post, the powers that be are safe and sound which is all that matters to them.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...