Sunday, February 07, 2010

For years, I've been looking for a particular poem about snow. I heard it only once about 20 years ago, being recited on a weekend morning t.v. show, one of those magazine types. Just cannot remember the name of the guy who was the commentator. Was it something like Osgood and was he the one who was posthumously found to be a bigamist? Dunno.
This poem, though, went along these lines: "No path, no fence, no grass, no shed..." and so on (but of course, much more skillfully than that), and ended with something like "...just snow."
That long preamble is leading up to this: A lot of my familiar landscape has vanished. The back steps are gone, the driveway is gone, all the bushes are gone, the neighbors' garden is gone, the sidewalks are gone...
There's just snow.
WIDER: Dennis Perrin's is one of the blogs I read regularly. He gets a little annoying at times (okay,who doesn't?), but I like a lot of his stuff. Here's a gem which illustrates perfectly the attitude of so many "if I wish hard enough, maybe it'll come true" liberals:
"...stop those wars right now, Mr. President! Or the next time I vote for you, I won't be smiling."

5 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Osgood is still alive. Kuralt was a bigamist...perhaps you are thinking of him. Do not know the poem.
I liked your description of your surroundings. We only got an inch, but it's icy everywhere.
/p

Mimi said...

I'm going to a Super Bowl party tonight at my neighbors' house. Good thing the service came and plowed me out. I'll walk down, so no problem.
Thanks for mentioning C. Kurait--he was probably the one who read the poem.

Jonathan Versen said...

"Snow and war" would be a great title for something.

Whenever people mention bigamy I'm reminded of the business between Margaret Dumont and Groucho, in which she says, "that would be bigamy!" etc.

last night I watched "An unmarried woman" with Jill Clayburg on UbiquitousTube(the poster left out all the vowels from the title.) I couldn't help but think if it were made today how Fox News would attack it for promoting divorce and abortion(there is a scene where the daughter tells Clayburg that one of her classmates in H.S. had an abortion.)

Mimi said...

Jon, do you ever get snow where you live?

Anonymous said...

Greeting for the day!!

I am new to this place. I found loads of useful information here. I would also like to add some thing for this community. I would like to share some [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]quick weight loss tips[/url]. If you wish to know how to lose 10 lbs in a calendar week, you are likely not seeing for a common diet and exercise plan. You can lose weight with a basic diet and work out plan, Still this takes a lot of time doing intensive cardio practises and following a strict diet. Here I will draft the exact steps that I took to lose 10 pounds in just a calendar week.

1. Keep Distance from all fried foods for the week
2. Drink In an 8oz glass of grapefruit with breakfast every day. (this speeds up your metabolism)
3. Take limited portions (stop eating when you are full)
4. If you are eating 3 big a meals a day, eat 5-6 smaller meals to keep your metabolism up and keep your body burning fat.
5. Aviod eating after 9 P.M.. Calories do not burn, when you eat so late.
6. Have a proper sleep everyday. Not taking plenty rest has been verified to be a major factor to the body storing excess fat.
7. Use a body/colon clean for the 7 days. This will get rid of needless fat stored around the stomach area as well as cleanse your body of harmfull pollutants that makes you store fat and feel tired. Flush away excess pounds around the stomach area that otherwise would be hard to lose.
8. I reccomend you using Acai Berry Diet Pills. This one is proven to work, and you can get a free trial.
9. For those mens/womens who wish to burn fat quickly, avoid alcoholic beverage.
10[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] A low GI diet is an brilliant method of loosing fat quickly.

Thanks![url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com].[/url]!

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...