Monday, February 08, 2010

I was starting to get cabin fever, but luckily, the service worked hard and now we're just about dug out. The sidewalks were not done--they're probably just impossible to clear--but the driveway and the front walk are.
Had a good time at the H.'s Super Bowl party last night. Of course, I ignored the game--football bores me--but what with the talk and laughs and food (not to mention the Corona), it was terrific. Ray insisted in picking me up, although they're only two doors away and he walked me home. Called Ellen on the web cam after and didn't get to bed until after 11:00, so slept until 6:30. No matter, though, as I can't very well walk this morning anyway, as the streets are still partly icy. Hope I can drive over to Santori's to replenish my veggie supply and I have a few other errands, too, when I venture out.
WIDER: This from a commenter on Chris Floyd's "Empire Burlesque":
"The Super Bowl has opened with a stirring display of Military might, men from all the services carrying the National Colors, Queen Latifah singing "America the beautiful" calling the blessings of gawd on this great nation, a huge stars & stripes spread on the field, live feeds showing troops at attention from bases in Afghanistan & Virginia, red fireworks bursting in air during the national anthem, and a benevolent, blood-stirring fly-over of Four F-15 Eagle fighter jets, not bombing anything, as a reminder of how great we is. Everybody had their hands over their hearts during this epoch display of patriotic fervor. I was amazed they weren't weeping.Perhaps some were."
I'm happy to say I missed that part. Boy, it chills the blood. How reminiscent of Nazi Germany, with its display of flags, troops, and nationalistic fervor. We're doomed, I'm afraid, if it's so easy to stir people's emotions and lead them to approve the kill, kill, kill goals of this bloodthirsty society.
A Little Late But I Had To Add This: Headline on a piece by Bruce Dixon at The Black Agenda blog: "Obama State of the Union: Guns For the Pentagon, Butter For Wall Street, A Spending Freeze For You"
SPOT ON, KIDDO!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Lady,

I found the poem! I just KNOW this is EXACTLY what you were thinking of (the connection is - because it was sung by ROSEMARY Clooney [mother of George]:

SNOW
From the film "White Christmas" (1954)
(Irving Berlin)

Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney & Trudy Stevens - 1954


Snow, snow, snow, snow, snow
It won't be long before we'll all be there with snow
Snow, snow, I wanna wash my hands, my face and hair with snow
Snow...I long to clear a path, and lift a spade of snow
Snow, oh, to see a great big man entirely made of snow

Snow, where it's snowing all winter through
That's where I want to be
Snowball throwing, that's what I'll do
How I'm longing to ski through the
Snow, snow, snow, snow, snow

Those glist'ning houses that seem to be built of snow
Snow, oh, to see a mountain covered with a quilt of snow
What is Christmas with no snow?
No white Christmas with no snow
Snow...

I'll soon be there with snow, I'll wash my hair with snow
And with a spade of snow, I'll build a man that's made of snow
I'd like to stay up with you, but I recommend a little shut-eye
Go to sleep, and dream of snow, snow, snow, snow.

Mimi said...

Well, thanks, Anon., but this is NOTHING LIKE the poem I'm thinking of. That one certainly wasn't sung by Rosemary Clooney or anybody else and it bears no relationship to what I wrote about here at all.
WHO ARE YOU, ANON???

Anonymous said...

It ends in "Snow" so I'm sure that is what you were thinking of. Sounds the same to me. In fact, I'm going to send you the soundtrack to White Christmas.

(Along with some dangling earrings that look like snow flakes!)

Gobble gobble ...

Mimi said...

Oh, so it's you--you had me fooled!

Unknown said...

Hi Mimi, organized sports gets you ready for the military. Don't think, be a team player, don't think, and above all don't think. That way we can use you in the meat grinder.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...