Thursday, August 21, 2008

Had a great time lunching Chinese with my high school friend, Janie. After sitting for a half hour on the A.C. Expressway (air show traffic), I picked her up a bit after noon.
I hadn't had Chinese food for ages, so was a little unsure what to order. Finally went with shrimp in a whitish, gelatinous sauce; can't remember the name. I realized when it came that I've had it before and am not crazy about the sauce, as it reminds me of the paste we used to make with flour and water. (The consistency reminds of something much grosser than that.) Picked out and ate most of the shrimp, but left the rest. Consumed a few spoonfuls of the won ton soup (didn't eat any of the noodles), and had about half the fried rice. Broke the deep-fried vegetable "roll" in half and was going to eat some, but while we talked, it got cold and I changed my mind.
To sum up: What with so thoroughly enjoying catching up with Jane and not particularly caring for the food, I didn't eat much. However, I satisfied my hunger (or appetite--it's hard to pinpoint which) and that was fine. Although I'm still uncomfortable wasting food--those starving children in Europe, you know*--I'm okay with eating only enough to be satisfied.
Stopped on my way home at Mary's, also a high school friend, and told her I'll call so we can arrange a day for her and Jane to come to our place for lunch. Am looking forward to that.
Again, I ate lightly at dinner. Had large bowls each of salad and broccoli and half a medium baked potato. Today, I'll pick up Dee (the woman who owns my childhood home) for lunch, but this time, will suggest we go to a general restaurant so I can revert back to my old standby, Caesar with chicken.
*I forgot! Children are no longer starving in Europe. In fact, they may suffer from obesity over there, too.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...