Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Exciting cultural news: I discovered a blog by George Orwell!
It wasn't originally a blog, of course, it's Orwell's journal. The entries, which are posted daily as if he were actually writing them now, correspond exactly to 70 years ago--i.e., today's entry is August 26, 1938.
Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair) moved around a lot in his too-short 49 years, but was living in the English countryside at the start of his journal on August 9. Right now, the news is all on the farming/nature front, but I understand he'll comment on politics and war in September.
The Orwell "blog" can be found here: http://orwelldiaries.wordpress.com/
From the ridiculous to the sublime (well, vice versa, really): I ordered a recent biography of Mario Lanza. Watching "The Great Caruso" on Sunday rekindled my interest in this Philadelphia phenomenon.

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...