Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Talked to Betty. She's out of the hospital and staying at Carolyn's until today, when she'll move back to her apartment and DIL Robyn will stay for a few days. She sounds good and is looking forward to recovery. Ironically, she has to eat a low-fiber diet, the opposite of the WW program she followed to lose 24 pounds. Speaking of WW, I was going to skip this, but will grit my teeth and force myself to be honest. Again last night, I ate a lot of wrong things and too much of them. I'm going to have to change my routine--think I'll go to the library or something after dinner to jolt myself out of this b-a-a-d habit.
Pat to the pulmonologist yesterday. Nothing much new, except I asked her to write a prescription (or, as the medical in-people say, "script") for the inhaler Pat's V.A. doctor, Dr. S., had given us--but that one said it could only be filled by the V.A. In that case, why did he give it to us? When I tried to fill the one Dr. H wrote, I found they may not make that particular one anymore because it has expellents (?) and affects the ozone layer--or something. The substitute is supposed to be just as good, but Pat doesn't think so and neither does his pulmonologist. Upshot is, they didn't have either yet, anyway (this drugstore just opened)--PLUS and this infuriates me--the old one was $22 and the new one is $40! That leads me to think the whole thing is just a hoax by the pharmaceutical companies to double their profits on this medication that had allowed people who can't breathe just a little respite--no matter that the new one doesn't work. The hottest spot in hell should be reserved for their executives.
Had chicken marsala last night, which was good. Today, I'm going to help stuff our community newsletter with an announcement of my Dionne Quints presentation.

4 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
You have had increased stress these past 10 days or so with Betty's uncertain medical status. With your stress level up....cortisol is released and it makes you HUNGRY. So, as you told me....do not beat yourself up over this.....it's your body telliing you...'give me a day or two and I'll be able to go back on the WW program'.

That whole thing with Pat's meds has got to be so frustrating. I wonder how the folks who have no idea how to get around the sytem keep from giving up. Then they get sicker and it cost more to get them better.

Would you tell me a little bit about your Dionne presentation? I know it's for your Women's Club..it is open to the public. When is it?
/pat

Mimi said...

Pat, the presentation is not open, but is for Sunrise Bay Women's Club members only. I'm giving it on Sunday, March 11. I'm going to go through their lives and will start with "On August 6, 1954, a young woman died. She wasn't beautiful or talented or accomplished...yet the news of her death was flashed around the world...She was Emilie Dionne, of the D. Quintuplets...now, let's go up and meet them...." I'll then pretend the audiance and I are driving up there to be present at the birth. (It helps that I've actually been in their farmhouse, the "big house" where they lived later, and the cemetery where Emilie is buried. I have a projector and will put appropriate pictures, postcards, and so on up as I tell about the lives of the quints. I'll also have some of my quint memorabilia displayed. As you can imagine, this takes a lot of preparation as I want to keep it to a half hour or so.

iloveac said...

I like the 'driving in the car' approach as well as the opening line. I'd like to be there. Maybe someone will make a video for you.

Mimi said...

It's a coincidence that you should mention a video! Two neighbors said they won't be able to be there on the 11th and asked if I might tape the presentation. I don't have any objection if someone wants to do that, but I'm not able to. I told my friends I'd be glad to repeat it if they want to gather another time.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...