Friday, February 23, 2007

11:00 am: Went back to update this post. Niece Carolyn just called to say my twin, Betty, is in the hospital with uncontrolled bleeding from a polyp removed yesterday during a colonscopy. I talked to Betty, too. She's still in the ER, but should be moved soon to a bed, possibly in the ICU. Test results on the polyp are still pending. At Betty's request, I notified via e-mail the rest of the family. I'm scared and worried, but trying to be optimistic.
My original entry:
After doing the vigorous, 3-mile "Walking Away the Pounds" tape with Susan yesterday, I felt good. One reason may be that I know today is walk-around-Sunrise Bay day and I'll only have to go 1 1/2 miles. Underneath all my bogus enthusiasm and commitment to exercise, I'm really a lazy slob. Would love to skip the damn stuff and loll in bed; it's just that I'm afraid to.
After the post office, the supermarket, and other chores, I spent a fair amount of time continuing to organize my Dionne stuff for the presentation. Meant to make some calls, but didn't. Actually sat for an hour while Pat was at the bay re-reading Family Secrets, the later-in-life, expose book authorized by the surviving 3 quintuplets (now there are only two). It's written in an annoying style with whole pages of direct quotes. I find it impossible to believe anybody could remember so many of their exact words, not to mention other's exact words, after 60 or more years. Also, the quints' parents are characterized as such dreadful people, with no redeeming qualities, it stretches the imagination to accept that they were really that horrible. Of course, the quints are portrayed as sweet, patient, long-suffering angels in every situation. Worst of all is the cloying, mindless type of prose--what used to be called "women's magazine" writing. It's pretty sickening, but the book was translated from French and maybe that's why it's the way it is. Anyway, I need to have more info on the quints' later lives, so this book should fill me in.
Looking forward to lunch at Calloway's today with Susan and Barb H. to discuss the Women's Club scholarship; we comprise the committee. Not sure what I'll order to keep in the Weight Watchers program--maybe a Caesar salad with chicken. Frank D. came over to invite Pat to lunch today, too. They'll go with Ray and Gary to their favorite, Beverly's, a little store front luncheonette on Radio Road.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an exciting day...well thanks for sharing your experiences...and hey since women's day is coming up shortly o drop by my blog on International Womens Day and enjoy all that i've posted there!!!

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...