Monday, February 05, 2007

Pat and I enjoyed the Super Bowl party at the H.'s last night. There were about 8 couples, plus two singles, and of course, the food was plentiful and good. I was indifferent about who won, but finally decided to root for the Bears because 1. my nephew (twin's son, Wes) lives in Chicago and 2. I was mad at the Colts for abandoning Baltimore (when did that happen?) where, incidentally, my other nephew (brother Frank's son, Patrick) lives. NATURALLY, my rooting for them put the kibosh on the Bears and they lost. Do I really care? Naw.
Finally saw "Sideways" and it was great! Daughter Ellen has been urging me to rent it for ages, but I never bothered, as I really didn't think I'd like it, but wow--terrific. For one thing, the very low-key humour, bordering on non-humour, appeals to me and for another, the locations where it was shot (two men are on a short road trip through southern California the week before one gets married) are places Ellen and I visited. I think I was actually in the restaurant that plays a significant role in the story. I also enjoyed the "wine angle"--too long and involved to go into--but none of these things would make it a great movie if it didn't also include incredibly deft character portrayals--and it does. Well, it just struck me as a great movie. As is my wont (can't help it, I used to read a lot of Dickens, etc.), I'll look up "Sideways" and see what's going on with the main actors--they're not familiar to me. One thing to note: There are two pretty raunchy sex scenes, but they're brief and do add to the story. Anyway, what a good movie and it didn't cost a dime, as I borrowed it from the library.
Incredibly, neither Pat nor I have anything scheduled this week except for Susan and Walter's "Mexican Valentine Party" on Saturday. Okey dokey, I'll continue to nurse my cold/flu/whatever and venture out when I feel up to it. I definitely want to resume my morning exercise regime with Susan which I've skipped for several days, then I'll feel back to normal.

No comments:

Monday

Set off for the mall and Target at 10:30. I got some staples (plant milk, blueberries, grapefruit, etc.), but decided to hold off buying the...