Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Wednesday With My Parents

Chilly, chilly, chilly, but at least, it was sunny. As for my day, I spent it with Mom and Dad. 

How so? For one, nephew Wes had messaged other kin and me a recording of my mother reminiscing about her childhood and later life. I had heard it before, years ago, but had forgotten about it. It's quite absorbing, half an hour long and includes a lot of early Byrne family lore. It aroused complicated  emotions in me, I'm not going to relate here. The past is past and it needs to stay there. 

I've also started--or continued--pursuing my father's past. The question has arisen as to whether the two pictures of him on the debating and track teams are from college (as we always believed) or high school. I emailed the admissions officer at Roman Catholic High School to see if they had his yearbook (1918), but haven't heard back. 

I did hear back from the librarian at Villanova. She said if I lived nearby, I was welcome to come in and look at their yearbook archives. I wrote back I couldn't very well, but then something occurred to me. I looked up the student employment office, and wrote saying I may want to hire a student to research my Dad's info at Villanova. I sent a detailed email (with pictures) late in the day, so they were probably gone, but I hope to hear back today. I also sent these, to provide more information:


Naughty girl that I am, it always struck me funny that he's listed as an "unpinning engineer"--risque!  

About noon, I packed a lunch, bundled up, and bused to town. Enjoyed lunching in my usual relatively out-of-the-wind spot across from the mission. Browsed in the shops, but didn't stay long. 

Called Carolyn to fill her in on my visit to Betty on Monday. Texted Margarita to see if she was picking me up for BCNN today; I mentioned that Julie had offered. I got back a peculiar response, asking which of them lived closer. I know I'm oversensitive, but that made me uncomfortable. I immediately texted Julie (who had offered before) and she'll pick me up. Margarita asked me to save her a seat. Okay.  

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...