Sunday, March 26, 2023

Show Biz Saturday

I spent almost the entire morning on getting my mother's memories in shape. It seems simple enough to go over it and revise where the transcript was screwed up, but it was anything but. I had both versions printed out, but they didn't correspond in structure, so I had  had to keep going back to the recording itself.  (Did Mom actually say "ipsa len way?" No, she said "it's a long way...")  Finally got it finished and started  pulling up pics from the past, so I can illustrate some of what she was describing.

After lunch, I started preparing for dinner (or "supper," since it was an early one): set the table, read what the (frozen) alfresco chicken required, and generally straightened up. I thought I'd prepare it, then keep hot in the smaller slow cooker. I didn't have any side dishes, so I just added bread and wine. Jim got here promptly at 5:00 and we ate, then left for the museum at 6:00.

Wow, it was jammed. The meeting room had been renovated since I was there last and I like the huge mural on the back wall:

 We were able to get semi-okay seats in the third row, but as happens more and more frequently, the row in front seemed to be reserved for six-footers. However, I was able to peer through to get a glimpse of the the two on the stage, but the interviewer, Igor Davis,* is obscured:

Here is Malcolm as his current self:

The talk was preceded by a ten-minute video on McDowell's career, including, of course, scenes from A Clockwork Orange. The interview itself, was fun to see and hear and at the end, McDowell mentioned how much he likes living in Ojai. Now, wouldn't  you know, I'm interested in seeing the movie again and in reading the book--maybe this enthusiasm will last, maybe not. Anyway, it was good to be where people were interested in a veteran of movies and maybe not the current media-guided craze.  

Home by 9:00 and after cleaning up from the meal, I got on my jammies and found a prime video documentary on Luci and Desi. I'm always interested in show biz lore, so watched that for forty-five, then turned in. 

The down note to the day: Michelle emailed me that I hadn't included two documents in the tax package I had delivered to her. Damn, I'll have to look them up. She will, however, send me back both a hard copy and a digital one, which I requested with a view to Mike doing the chore next year.     

*I had "met" Igor Davis years ago, when I attended a book signing and talk at the museum centered on his book Manson Exposed, which is now on the bookcase to my left. And, good grief, he's older than I am--born in 1935!  He and Malcolm McDowell, both Brits by birth, have lived in the area for years.                                                 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...