Sunday, March 12, 2023

Soggy Saturday And A "Sprint Marathon"

 Darn, it was overcast most of the day and rainy in spots. I took my cart to Von's for some necessities and some just-wanted-them-ties.  

Called Muckie and we had another good long talk--more than an hour. She's doing okay--still has pancreatic cancer, but the good (cancer stable) report last time was uplifting. Because she's electronically challenged (she doesn't use the Internet at all), I had sent her an actual post office letter last month, which included the pictures of her, Betty, Pat R., and me at my place from years ago. This time, I promised to send her some pics of when Betty's old boyfriend, Jim Downes, came to visit. I decided to just copy what I had written from my entry last September 22, which is when Jim was here. It took me a while to do that, but considering the lousy weather, I didn't feel like going out, anyway.

Son Mike video-messaged me at about 5:00, as he's been doing every Saturday afternoon. He had just driven Paula to the airport, as she's going to China for two weeks for business. Mike himself is gong to Sri Lanka next week on business. While we were talking, he got a text from daughter, Vivian, to say she and a friend are going to Europe for several weeks in the summer. Also, she'll spend a semester in the U.K. as part of her curricula at U. of Hawaii. Geez, when I was that age, I was excited to get to Philly!

--RACING NEWS--

My little Mikey participated last week. After what he has to say about it, I posted some pics:

From his Facebook entry: "Conditions were … horrible. Another year… another SPRINT (eg. “short”) triathlon. Hadn’t swum in a month but got 6 in age group. Cycling mediocre on a very wet course and run was … well I finished without stopping despite 5 pounds of mud on my trainers 👟 !!"

It was run in the mud...
...cycle several miles...
...and visit the fishies...
...my little Mikey! 💖

2 comments:

I love AC said...

Amazing! It must be a genetic thing. I have and never did have the desire to do such things. I'm impressed with those that do. It's a gift and a lot of work.

Mimi said...

Thanks, Pat. I'm not sure about the genetic thing, but I'm thinking that could be. As you read in an earlier entry, my father was a runner a hundred years ago (literally!) in high school. A number of his descendants, my nieces and nephews run, also.

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...