Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Mostly Enjoyable Monday

Yes, things are looking up. It was overcast, but didn't rain, so I took my cart back to WinCo. Why, since I had been there the day before? Because I had seen they have some reasonably inexpensive wine and, although I don't know who all will drink it (I almost never do; like it too much), the truth is, I wanted my wine rack to be fuller. Anyway, I walked to Telephone Road via the overpass, then bused the rest of the way. Got what I wanted (two cabernet, two Chardonnay) and a few other things, and bused back. Wine looks good in the rack.

Weather forecast said today we'd have a downpour (AAGH!), so Lora and I decided we'd go to see Betty on Friday after T.O.P.S. That's fine by me; I'll just take a change of clothes, rather than keep on the white capris I always wear to get weighed. 

After lunch, I looked again into the Villanova website and its archives. Wonder of wonders, the Belle-Air yearbook, the very first one they printed, is from 1922, the year my Dad graduated. And here he is:

I had no idea he was in R.O.T.C., or even that it existed then. Also, I'll have to pursue another question: I see no mention of the debating team, so is the following picture actually of a different club and is it at Villanova, or what gives?
He's standing on the left, fading into the darkness.

I found it difficult to maneuver on the archive website, as I had to choose and copy only one page at a time, so I emailed to ask how I could copy the whole book. We'll see if they respond.

I emailed Diane to tell her the Hill Street Café was calling us and we needed to meet there for lunch. Made a date for Thursday. Ellen called on her way home from work and we had a good talk. 

Showered and bused to the Stone Fire Grille for the Soaring Spirits dinner. I was early, so only Vera and Susan were there, but then Renee, Amy, Gayle, Debbie, Anne, and Claire came in. We had a good time talking, as ever, and darling Vera, as ever, took me home. On the way, she told me the dream of her life is to go to the Galapagos Islands and see the turtles. Vera has a thing for turtles; has nine as pets, who live indoor and out, and often shows them on Facebook. She likes lizards, too. I can't say I like either, but I like Vera a lot. She's in her middle forties, is the founder of our Soaring Spirits chapter, lost her husband in an accident when she was pregnant with their second child, is a very attractive blonde roughly six feet tall, and she's the one who introduced me to Fractured Actors. 😄

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...