Friday, November 04, 2022

Thursday

 Some out of the ordinary things happened yesterday:

1.) My nephew, Steve Johnson, who writes for the on-line "Lifehacker," did a piece on Thanksgiving and mentioned me. This is what he said:

When I was a kid, my Aunt Mimi would start Thanksgiving dinner every year by serving everyone a small helping of rice as a way of remembering the people in the world who had little to eat that night. I’m not sure how it helped alleviate world hunger, but I did enjoy the injection of a little pathos into Thanksgiving, and thinking, “Better them than me!”

This was accompanied with a bowl of rice; I got a kick out of the article. To read it, go to my page on Facebook (or his). 

2.) Both Lora and I decided to skip T.O.P.S.  today. Sharon called me to say she isn't going (preparing for a trip to Arizona); Julie is back from Europe, but has a doctor's appointment; leader Lennie is in Belize; Bobbi is getting chemo and has to go at 9:00 every morning. I called Bobbi and she feels okay so far. Also called Bev to tell her. I had no contact informatin for Helen, Sylvia, or Carol, so if they go, they're out of luck. Later, though, Bobbi was able to find Helen's number and called her.

3. Coming back from town, the bus I was on had an accident. As it was turning into the transit center, it hit a bike, or the bike hit it. A man was hurt, but I hope not too badly. The bus windshield cracked.

4. I should be ashamed to include this in "out of the ordinary" (but I'm not): I cleaned the hard floors and washed the throws (it's been a while).

5. Best news: Shannon wrote back that she got the scripts and will read them over the weekend. She said she was "honored" to receive them, so good. That doesn't mean she and Jeff will want to produce any, but it was great to know. 

Okay, now for the uninteresing stuff: I called Lynne, the docent director, and changed the time to work at the Dudley House Christmas Boutique as a wrapper to 1 to 3, December 11, so I won't be getting home in the dark. 

Packed and took my lunch to town and ate, as I often do, across frm the mission. Bought some  Christmas decorations (but Mimi, didn't you donate a lot of Christmas decorations not too long ago?  Yes, but these are so cute!). Picked up Stephen King's new Fairy Tale; started it last night and was immediately drawn in. (It's 597 pages long and this isn't large print--typical of King.) Strolled Main Street, but it was so chilly and windy, I didn't stay long. 

Emailed Diane, who said she got through the dental procedure well. My new friend, Bernice, from BCNN, called to tell me about her breakfast "date" with a man who's been pursuing her.  She's 73, he's 79. Incredibly (it seems incredible to me), he kissed her goodbye with tongue and tried to touch her...uh, upper body. She recoiled and said he was going too fast. Can't wait to hear more about this. I can see the movie: Senior Saga!  Can these two stay stay awake long enough to ...?    

My front walk and door, dressed for Thanksgiving:


2 comments:

iloveac said...

I hope you continued that practice with the rice...so important.
Bernice must have had her mouth open to know his tongue was there. Give me a break. She either gave him the wrong signals or he just has no couth. I think I spelled that right.

Mimi said...

I continued the rice as long as I hosted Thanksgiving. Now my nephew (Betty's oldest, Wes, in Chicago) does it. Not sure who else in the family might, but they do remember it.
As for Bernice--I don't know if she encouraged. I got the impression it was immediate and just on his side. Hope I get the lowdown if and when he takes her out to dinner.

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...