Saturday, November 19, 2022

A Fun Friday

Did the three-mile walk again after breakfast; cold, cold, cold, but with three layers on, it was okay. After a quick lunch, it was off to Ewing. I knocked at the door of 1155 Lower Ferry, where we lived for forty-one years, and which continues to be a group home. The nice supervisor lady, Yolanda, showed me around, but I didn't stay long. It's been almost 20 since we moved to Little Egg, and as good ol' Thomas Wolfe assured us, You Can't Go Home Again. (Besides, that's no longer home, anyway.)

From there, it was Lawrenceville, where I tried to track down the plaque with my name on it on the chair in the theatre. Talked to some nice people there and went into the theatre, but unfortunately, it had been renovated several years ago, and the chairs replaced. Most likely, they were discarded, so that's that. My only regret is that the picture I have of "my" chair is very blurry.

Did I contact and look for any of my old colleagues? No. For one thing, the only one I know of still there is Terri M., my former secretary. I spoke to her a month or so ago and had more or less intended to get in touch again, so why didn't I? I just didn't want to and with 20 years gone by, there really isn't much desire to do so. 

Anyway, it was a good, full day, with gin rummy at the end and a good, deep sleep after, so I'm feeling tip top.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

I share your feelings ...and those of Thomas Wolfe. When I was seriously considering moving back to NJ I was sure certain relationships would flourish. They didn't and it was difficult but I made the adjustment and no longer wish to go back home. I'm home now where I am as Jon Kabat-Zinn wrote--- wherever you go there you are. It's still a nice place to visit.

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...