Saturday, November 12, 2022

Friday And Dad's Draft

Good news on the weight front: At home, I weighed in at 124.4, a loss of 3.4 pounds, at T.O.P.S., 128.6 for 2.9 off.  Sharon called me in the morning to say she wouldn't be there, leader Lennie still away, so it was Lora (who picked me up), Bev, Helen, Julie, Carol, and me. We had more of a support session than a formal meeting--fine by me--and it wasn't bad.  It seems my resolve to skip eating while watching my one hour of T.V. (8 to 9 am) is working. 

Lora mentioned a place at the wharf where she had been recently: Transmission Brewery and Topper Pizza share a roof patio where the view is marvelous and the food and brew superb. Julie promptly asked if I wanted to go on Monday and three guesses as to my response. 😊

Jim came early. He seemed more cheerful than he had been--reticent as ever, but there was a noticeable lightening of mood. I served the pizza I had had in the freezer, which was pretty good, and the rest of the ice cream for dessert. Jim really didn't care for the cabernet I gave him and drank only half of the small bottle.  We sat and talked until 3:00, then I walked him out. He actually allowed me to give him a hug when we said goodbye, as I won't see him again for more than two weeks. (And if one of the planes go down, longer than that.)

Cleaned up and took a short nap. Texted Vickie to ask how her conference with the people caring for Mary went. She called me and she's somewhat hearted that they were so responsive. She also mentioned their noticeable tendency to be upbeat and to emphasize how much they appreciate Mary. The same is true at Villa Alamar where Betty lives. I didn't tell her this, but I'm quit sure this is part of their training. That's not a bad thing; I just think it's just not as spontaneous as Vickie thinks.

I looked into familysearch.org, the site Suzanne had given me. Idly put in my father's name and was amazed to have this come up:


It's his draft notice for World War I. Note the date issued: September 12,1918. My father, I was told, had finished basic training was on a train to a base in the south (Alabama?) when the war ended on November 11. He came home, enrolled at Villanova College, and the rest is history.  

4 comments:

iloveac said...

I share your comment about "their training." Some are better at appearing genuine than others. Hopefully, the 'team' will work to resolve the concerns. With staffing problems everywhere it is a major challenge.

Mimi said...

You know, I don't think employees are necessarily always just pretending to be concerned for the residents. I believe most of the people who work where Betty is are genuinely solicitous. And in reading what you write, I'm pretty sure they are where you are, too. And if they're trained that way, it's all to the good. Of course there's a big difference in the type of facility that you two are in.

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I'm not in a facility YET....I live in Independent living. When the day comes I know what to expect from my previous experience in rehab for a week or so.

Mimi said...

I know you're in independent living, Pat, just wrote "facility" to mean sort of a group living place. I guess the big difference is that you and the other residents really are "independent," in that you still have your faculties, so actually are independent.

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...