Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Roses

I've always loved Ethel Merman and that big, brassy voice: "Everything's Comin' Up Roses For You and For Me!"
Well, it was for me yesterday, but with a bit of a jolt and a glitch. Walked our usual, although Susan still isn't feeling well (intestinal problems and everybody knows what that euphemism means) and looks alarmingly drawn and pale.
Anyway, we walked, I changed, then opened the garage door preparing to drive to the clubhouse to meet up with the rest of "The Sparklers."  In my usual rapid and ungraceful way, I charged around the car to get in the driver's seat, tripped on the "lip" that separates the garage from the driveway, and fell heavily on my right side.  On concrete.
As my friend, an occupational therapist, had advised some time ago, I didn't immediately try to jump up.  I lay there to assess the damage; my leg was scraped, but I knew that was minor.  My shoulder hurt a bit, but it was my arm that had taken the brunt of the fall. It was sore, but moved easily, and the ache didn't intensify with movement, so I assumed it wasn't broken.
The problem was getting up.  I tried kneeling, but it hurt the scraped knee.  Finally, I noticed nearby the foam pad I use for gardening and was able to inch over to it, put it under my sore knee, and crawl to a nearby chair to help myself up.  I was relieved that the damage didn't seem too bad, so got in the car and drove to the clubhouse for the meeting.    
It was short and we then drove to Long Beach Island for lunch. The others were going afterward to a ceramic place to paint pieces or whatever, but I begged off, as my friend was coming after work.  In truth, I probably could have gone, but that kind of thing bores me to tears.
Driving home, my arm felt okay when it was resting at my side, but when I moved it, it hurt.  When I got in, I actually lay down on the couch and napped for a half hour.
My friend came in, changed, and--oh, joy--quickly and neatly planted the flowers, of which there were more than a dozen.  It would have taken me hours to do it and, of course, I'd be found collapsed on the sidewalk because once down, I can't get up.
Anyway, good, good, good.  Today, I'll breakfast with Aline, lunch with Betty, and be happy the flowers are in.  I'll dream of California, which seems to be getting closer and closer, and look forward to decorating my own little apartment and starting my new life with optimism and vim.  It's comin' up roses, all right.


No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...