Saturday, May 09, 2015

Shop-Rite, Dominoes, and Nazi Germany

Partly annoying, partly enjoyable, this-and-that day.  Drove to Shop-Rite directly after breakfast and was pleasantly surprised that the crowds were sparse, even though it was Friday.  Got all the ingredients for the tomato salad, and added cottage cheese and yogurt in a separate bag. After ten-mile trip home, I unloaded and found I was missing the latter. Went to look the phone number up and was told there was no Internet connection.
Darn it all!  It's this kind of thing that throws me into a tizzy.  I regard my computer as a kind of mysterious, other-worldly demi-god, whose favors I must earn.  Clearly, I had somehow angered it. Tried crawling under the desk and pressing wires here and there, but it remained silent and unforgiving.
Just to clear my head, I drove back to Shop-Rite, went to the help desk, and found that nobody had turned in the bag.  There was one compensating factor: I was told by the pleasant young woman rep to replace the items at no charge.  Thanks, Shop-Rite.
Home, I gave up trying to placate this monster and called my friend, asking her to come after work to see if she could remedy things. She did, she couldn't, but she called Comcast, was instructed to check the modem and, yes, that was where a wire was loose.  She plugged it back in and all was well.  Whew!
I had picked up two large bunches of pink carnations at Produce Junction the other day, and now I got some pretty vases at the thrift store.  I plan to give little flower gifts to all the mothers (four, by my count) at Lisa's tomorrow.
Stir-fried me up a ground turkey/garlic/onion dinner, had that, then showered and dressed for the domino gathering at 7:00. Usually, the D.'s host this, but the H's did this time and, besides from the four of them and me, the R.'s were there.  We live in a row on the sunny side of the street* and have been doing this for years, so it's all very convenient and convivial.  It was great fun, as ever, and as ever, brought home to me how good it is to live here.
And how much I'll miss it when I leave.
Didn't get back in my door until after 11:00 and skipped my usual evening ritual to go right to bed.  Slept until after 7:00, having told Susan I wouldn't walk today.
WIDER:  I put this on Facebook with a note saying it's often facile to compare present-day U.S. with Nazi Germany, but here, it's hard to avoid: http://www.commondreams.org/news/2015/05/08/patriotism-price-us-military-paid-nfl-teams-honor-soldiers-games
* Literally and figuratively.
          

1 comment:

Jim Wetzel said...

I just did the same thing (with the Common Dreams piece). Wonder how many "likes" that'll get from my oh-so-patriotic FB friends?

Don't think I'll be holding my breath ...

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...