Friday, May 22, 2015

Breakfast and The Farm

After our walk in surprisingly chilly weather, I putzed around, then picked up my pal at our usual 9:15.  Over omelets at John & Sonya's, I asked if she wanted to go to the next Early Bird Dine Around (or whatever it's called now--maybe "Dining with the Crazies") next Wednesday and she did, so that will be fun.  Down to Graveling Point after, of course--the waves were satisfactorily rough--then I dropped A. at the library for work.
Did whatever until about 3:00--at this point, it was raining in earnest--and left for my friend's.  Made it up there, transferred my pickin' stuff to her RV and we set off for Honey Brook Farm.
Geesh, it was a sea of mud!  I had to take it slow and easy and hold onto my friend's arm at times.  Luckily, the lettuce (two varieties) and bok choy were in the barn and we skipped the herbs, which had to be picked.  So did the strawberries, far out in the field; my dear girl volunteered to pick for us both, leaving me safe and dry in the car, reading a very interesting history of Jamesburg and Monroe Township.*
She got back in a half hour or so, dripping and muddy, but cheerily sanguine, carrying two quarts of big, beautiful berries. I popped one in my mouth immediately--it was luscious, although a bit sandy--and we rode happily off.
I refused dinner with thanks and drove home.  The rain was supposed to be over by five, but I guess it hadn't read the forecast, because it poured steadily the whole way.  
No matter, I got home fine and in good spirits.
*My friend and her husband had been given the book by the author, who has written several of these booklets about the histories of Jersey towns. He is the person who accepted my friend's husband's material concerning his own (Norwegian) antecedents, a huge trove.  Incredibly--and regrettably, it seems to me--the Minnesota Historical Society decided against receiving it.

No comments:

Sunday And Susan

A fairly busy morning and lots of contacts--to wit: --Former tenant, Susan, texted that she'll be near my house, turn on the outside wat...