Sunday, May 17, 2015

P & P

I was happily surprised by a Skype call from Singapore and got to see my gorgeous granddaughters, daughter-in-law, and--oh, yes, the guy who lives with them.  Violet sang and accompanied herself on the ukulele and Vivian showed me a video of herself doing intricate gymnastic moves and making it look easy.
Got to the Players & Playwrights meeting early, but the rest of the gang--about fifteen regulars--came shortly after.  A long and acrimonious discussion about the June 20 show ensued because it would have been three hours long with all plays included. Finally, it was decided to split the entries and have a second show in August. Both my submissions--one little more than a skit--will be performed in June.
We then rehearsed some of the plays, including mine.  Because Aline was absent, I asked Rachel to play opposite Sondra and she did a credible job.  I was asked to sit in for Sheila, who was sitting in for Dayle--oh, it's just too long and involved to go into--in Jim's play, which as usual, was a plodder and twice as long as it should have been.
We broke up about 4:15 and Louise, Denise, and I went to Ventura's on Shore Road for an early dinner.  We had some good, lively conversation, about Catholicism and Judaism, among other interesting topics. It's funny how I've always been drawn to Jewish people.  P & P itself was founded by congregants of Beth El Synagogue and most of the members--maybe all of them except me--are Jewish.  I've read a lot about Judaism and when Louise, Denise, and I talked about the deaths of family members, I surprised them by knowing what "kaddish" means.
All in all, a good day, made even better when my friend invited me to go with them to hear her brother-in-law sing in The Capital Singers in Trenton this afternoon.  I had planned to go to opera at the clubhouse, but naturally jettisoned that immediately.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...