Sunday, June 02, 2013

Fort Meade Two

Okay, Jim, you asked for it:
Left the house at 6:00.  Got to the Absecon train station and, about an hour and half later, 30th Street Station in Philly with plenty of time to spare.  The bus was due an hour later only a block away, so I got coffee and ate for breakfast half the sandwich I had brought.  Went out to the designed corner and in a few minutes, saw walking toward me two grizzled old guys wearing tee shirts with the legend: "Vietnam Vets Against War."
Oh, joy!  Al and John were my first kindred spirits of the day and we were quickly joined by others.  I had been apprehensive about being the only--uh, mature person--on the trip, but in fact, at least three-quarters of those on the bus looked to be over--say, sixty-five.  This is a little scary.  Where the hell are all the young people we need to oppose the scourge of militarism?  Happily, there were many more younger people coming from other points, but still--.
I sat with a women named Karen N. and we became instant friends; more about her and future possibilities in another post.  Foolishly, I ate the rest of my sandwich and grapes before we got there, along with two granola bars somebody passed around, so I had nothing left for the rest of the day.  However, I wasn't hungry at all until I got home.
Got to Ft. Meade about two hours later to join the crowds already there.  There was a huge sign, maybe seven feet high and nine long propped with others at the entrance. (Naturally, the gates were locked.)  Participants were invited to write personal notes to Brad on it and, of course, I did.  Also spent every penny of the cash I had brought to buy a "Free Bradley Manning" tee-shirt.
More people gathered, coming by bus and car.  There was lots and lots of police coverage, most in cars with "U.S. Army Police" on them, and a helicopter nosily hovered overhead the entire time.  About 1:00, the crowd--I'd say about a thousand strong--congregated in front of the main gate and we heard speakers from various pro-peace organizations.  Medea Benjamin from Code Pink was there, along with about a dozen others wearing their signature pink and bearing signs reading "Make Out, Not War."  (Doesn't scan as well as my favorite, "Make Peace, Not War.")
There were a multitude of signs, both professionally printed and hand-made, all with pro-peace and "free Bradley Manning" sentiments.  We then started the march. 
Gee-willy, it was hot.  Ninety degrees had been predicted and it may have reached beyond that.  The march was in the street, of course, and there were a few trees on one side, but for the most part, we walked in the broiling sun.  As we did, we chanted and shouted the pacifist slogans and demands for Brad's release we knew too well could be voices crying in the wilderness.
We had first been told we'd walk from the main gate to the next, about a mile away, but that was extended to a third gate, another mile on.  That meant four miles there and back and even for me, it was pretty intense.  What was more uncomfortable was the fact that there was no place to sit throughout the long day.  Others sat on the grass under what shade they could find, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get up if I did, so I was on my feet for roughly six hours.  Incredibly, I have no aches or pains today.  At the third gate, there was music and notably, the introduction of Daniel Ellsberg and Lt. Daniel Choy, who gave inspiring talks. Then, a few at a time, we started walking the two miles back to the main gate.
Had to wait an hour or so until the bus got there at 5:30, but we made good time back to Philly and I was happy to see there was a 7:57 train to Absecon.  It got in at twenty after nine, I drove home without incident, and was in by 10:00.  Immediately, I jumped in the shower--so, so delicious!--washed my hair, then heated up some macaroni and whole made sauce, which I avidly devoured after having had nothing to eat since about 11 am.  Fell into bed and oh, did I sleep--until 7:00, in fact, practically the middle of the afternoon for me.
How wonderful to be in the company of kindred spirits!  It isn't just me, I'm not a weird, practically unhinged nut for believing it's unnatural and abnormal for human beings to slaughter each other.  Those who agree to do so are not heroes, and aside from the scum who profit from war, they do not "serve" their fellow citizens.  I will never, never, and shoot me if I do, "thank a soldier," but I'll forever admire and revere those who stand in support of peace and justice.  I saw lots of them yesterday and it was the thrill of a lifetime.     
 

1 comment:

Jim Wetzel said...

Thank you, Mimi! I found a couple of news articles about yesterday, including one that was probably more or less truthful. I'm glad you made it through a very strenuous day. Here's hoping none of out helpful public servants show up on your doorstep with "just a few questions."

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...