Sunday, June 09, 2013

Rehearsal For "Hell"

More rain early on, but it cleared into brilliant sunshine later.  Got to Stockton just as my cast of five did, and we all settled into rehearsal for Hell On Wheels.
I started by going over the notes I had made after hearing them read for the first time at the meeting.  Reminded the women that they were saucy, sassy, and no better than they had to be, John that he was the boss man (he plays the Devil), and Ernie that he had to speak more slowly.  The latter is the only one who is more a playwright than a player in our group, and who needs a bit more direction, but after the several times we went over it, he improved a lot.
In fact, it was a pleasure to direct this group.  They all took my comments seriously--which you had better with a director--and did a wonderful job.  I was particularly happily surprised that Bernice developed her character as she did.  She tends to be a bit bland, but ratcheted up her performance satisfactorily.  We'll meet early next Saturday before show time and hone it a bit.
What's coming up on Tuesday may prove to be a lot less of a pleasure.  That's when I called rehearsal for Telephone and there are a few factors I'm a little apprehensive about.  One is that Joey, who plays the male lead, is unknown to me, so I'm not sure how he'll react to direction; two is that all the players need to get into their characters more believably and not just "read."  The big one is, naturally, Rachel, who's such a loose cannon, pain in the ass, and infuriating know-it-all, as well as  endlessly needy whiner, that she's wearing to be with. She fits the part to a tee, but I'm not looking forward to directing her, as she'll almost invariably try to take over. 
After the Hell rehearsal yesterday, Louise, Denise, and I went to Celina's for "linner" or maybe, "dunch" (it was a bit after 3:30), which has terrific fresh salads and sandwiches.  We had a good time talking and I enjoyed getting to know Denise better.
Got home and had an e-mail from Noelle.  I was sorry to hear that Jen turned down the idea that I take J. and T. to California with me in July.  She feels it would cut into her time with the boys and I understand, but am disappointed.  Maybe next year...  

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...