Saturday, June 22, 2013

Another Lunch and a Party

Yet another full, full day in a week of them.  Met Linda G. for lunch at Fred & Ethel's in Smithville and we had a fine time getting to know each other.  She's a Quaker, which explains her pacifism, and suffered three serious accidents on her bike.  These left her with brain damage, but this is evident only in a slight limp and occasional difficulty in finding words.  She lived in Brigantine as a kid and went to Friends School in Atlantic City.  Her father was president of Atlantic City Electric.  She is an artist, but has been unable to paint for a time.  Linda had married twice, but had no children.
She called me in the morning to ask if I'd like to go with her to a cookout at 4:00 at a friend's in Egg Harbor Township.  Well, sure, why not?
After lunch, I followed Linda to her house in Port Republic.  This is a fascinating one, way back in the woods and a little messy, but in a cozy, inviting way.  Some of her art hangs on the walls and I like the portraits so much.  We chatted for a bit, then I went to the cemetery (it was my fifty-fifth anniversary) while Linda assembled deviled eggs to take to the party. 
Made my visit, then picked up a few things at Shop-Rite and got back to Linda's about 4:00.  Followed her to the cookout, which was at a house also out in the woods, near Germania Cemetery. 
I had met some of the guests--many were Quakers--at the Potluck for Peace gathering a few weeks ago; several are active or retired faculty at Stockton State. 
I greatly enjoyed talking to Rick Goldberg who, oddly enough considering his name, was brought up Catholic (he's now a Quaker). His wife's name is the same as mine.  Rick had been superintendent of schools in Mullica Township and I found him wonderfully engaging--maybe because he has many of the same ideas and beliefs I do.  He knows Don M., with whom I graduated from HSHS and who is still hanging on to his superintendent of schools job in (somewhere; don't recall).  Rick and I agreed it's about time for him to close the book and let somebody write in it.  Anyway, it was an enjoyable, though low-key, party.
I have nothing scheduled for the weekend, which is fine by me; I'm ready for a break.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...