Friday, June 21, 2013

Philly, There I Was

Yester wasn't just a day, it was a day and a half.  Got up at 3:15, washed, dressed, and coffeed, and set off for the Absecon train station with little time to spare.
It was very scary driving there.  My windshield fogged up and on the parkway after New Gretna, construction is going on and there's about two inches for clearance.  I could see nothing aside from cones on the right, one of which I hit.  A huge truck bore down on me, furiously blowing his horn, and I honestly don't know how I avoided running into the concrete wall on the left.
Finally made it, though, just in time for the 4:44 train.  I had been slightly worried the place would be deserted and was glad to see about 35 commuters on the platform.
Got to Philly with no problem, but at 6:00, a full two hours early.  Had coffee and a bagel, then walked the not quite a mile to 3700 Market.  Sat outside--it was a lovely day--and chatted with a woman who was also waiting for the orientation.  Jennifer is an architect, but has been out of work for a year.  She is now 63 and hopes she can hold out, money wise, until she can get social security.  A familiar story in this lousy economy, I'm afraid.
Eight o'clock finally came.  There were 17 people in the orientation, which consisted of a short video, then a question and answer period.  Employees are called "S.P.s," which I understand means "Standardized Patients."  The interviewers were introduced; mine were Angelo and Mike and I accompanied them to an office.
After the usual preliminary chit-chat, they got down to cases and explained more about the position.  I asked if there could be any flexibility as to start time, and was told no.  Okay, fellows, I'm outta here.
I didn't actually say that, of course, but reluctantly told them I was taking myself out of consideration because of the long, long commute and having to cool my heels for two hours.  (The second train doesn't arrive in Philly until 8:13.) 
I left and waited outside for my new friend, Karen N., whom I had met on the "Bradley Bus" when we went to Fort Meade on June first.  Karen had introduced me to the S.P. program, as she's a participant.  She came early and we greeted each other happily with hugs.  Walked back to the station and had lunch at the Irish Pub, a less-than-accommodating establishment (they had none of the four 6.99 specials listed), but we talked and laughed, laughed and talked, and Karen had brought me a half dozen eggs from her own chickens, and the sun was shining, and I was in the big city, and I loved it all.
Karen is a cheerful, exuberant, giving person whom I feel I've known for years instead of a few weeks.  Our talk was all over the map, of course, from family to  spiritual beliefs (or lack of them) to pacifist topics.  After a leisurely time, we parted, she to take the "high speed line" (what could that possibly mean?), me to cool my heels for an hour and a half until the next train.  I hung out watching the people walking here and there with quick, purposeful strides, all seeming to know where they were going.
Clearly, I didn't.  I walked outside, didn't notice a step, and fell right down.  Luckily, I'm sure I didn't suffer anything serious, but have a long, ugly abrasion on my right knee.
Train came, I got to Absecon and my car, and drove immediately to Ocean City, where I had promised to meet my friend at 4:00.  I had brought other clothes and stopped first at The Point Diner to ask if I could change in the ladies' room.  Was granted permission and did so.  My friend came shortly, we parked in the back of Wawa, and set off over the bridge.
This is 2.3 miles long and significantly, is not flat. We went only to the middle, then back, because my friend had a hair appointment at six, but hey, that in itself is a workout.  It was fun, though, and I always love being with this particular person.
Said goodbye and, home, practically dove into the shower.  Checked e-mail, talked to sister Betty, and watched my 45 minutes of T.V. with my popcorn and wine.  Finally, after a long, but enjoyable day, fell into bed and slept like the dead (ouch!).
Geez, as I keep asking, why aren't I skinny as a rail?  Maybe because, in addition to  vigorous activity, I go out to eat so much.  Today, I'm meeting Linda G., my other new peace pal, at Fred and Ethel's in Smithville.
This is my fifty-fifth wedding anniversary.
 

No comments:

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...