Saturday, November 12, 2011

Spent most of yesterday getting ready for the big sale that's going to make me rich, rich, rich beyond my wildest dreams! Or maybe not.
Packed up the rest of the items I'm selling--the car is loaded--went to the bank for change (BOA was closed, Ocean First, my new best friend open), stopped at the library, got gas, and so on.
Found that my darling sister-in-law is in the hospital with a fluttering heartbeat. When I was at her place in Florida year before last, she was in to have a pace maker installed and has had some problems since. Called brother Larry, but got no answer, so called their daughter, Jeanne, in Jacksonville for the lowdown. She gave me the number at the hospital and I spoke to Helen herself. She sounded like her usual cheery self, and I was heartened, but she's still in the ICU. Helen and four of her daughters, plus her granddaughter, are all R.N.'s (son Larry's an LPN) and her son-in-law is a physician, so she's pretty well covered there.
Got a call from niece Joan and another from sister Betty in between packing up the car and stuff. It's now 4:51 am and I'll be leaving shortly for the Columbus Farmers' Market and Flea Market to secure my fabulous wealth by selling Christmas items. It will take me about an hour and my faithful visitor from up north will meet me there to help handle the hordes of customers.
Hope I at least make enough to cover gas...
WIDER: In case you thought there was some hope for this benighted country, think again. What's being sold here is a commemorative "justice coin" celebrating the assassination of Bin Laden. How sick, sick, sick are we going to get? Oh, we may not have reached bottom yet; I'll bet there's more to come. How about taking up a collection for Jerry Sandusky? After all, the poor guy lost his job, didn't he? Now get your coin:
http://www.asseenontvpromo.com/collectibles/justice-coin/
And then there's this:
http://www.t3.com/news/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-makes-dollar-400-million-in-24-hours
It's a game, you understand. A game.
And for the last nail in civilization's coffin:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/13/business/face-recognition-moves-from-sci-fi-to-social-media.html?hp

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Re: the "justice" coin ... Oh. My. God.

Couldn't they have incorporated a real blood spatter somehow? Think how much they could have $old it for then!

Mimi said...

Oh, the blood thing, there's an idea. And note the worshipful tone about the killers on the web site. The ultra-conservatives keep wringing their hands and wailing about the erosion of morality--could they be on to something?

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...