Tuesday, April 19, 2011

After running a few errands, I drove up to Keyport, NJ, after lunch. I was a little nervous, as I always am when I venture into unknown territory (good grief, you'd think I was trekking to Antarctica!), but it wasn't bad at all. Drove about an hour north on the parkway, then ten minutes more to the funeral home.
I went there for a melancholy reason: a viewing for the sister of my older son's friend. I hadn't seen Jim Z. for at least twenty years, but when I walked in, he knew me right away. It was good to see him and to meet his family--wife and two teenaged sons--but oh, how hard it was for him and his parents. They both look very old, small, thin, and white-haired, and they were, of course, devastated. Their daughter was only 51 and this was an unexpected death.
I stayed for about an hour, chatting with Jim and others, then left. I was so glad I went. If anybody ever wonders if they should go to a viewing or funeral--go. As I well know, it means so much after such a loss to have people come and pay their respects. If it seems too far away or the weather's bad or these things make you queasy or you don't feel completely up to par--go anyway. I know from experience how much it means to the survivors.
Was glad to get a Skype call from P. and N. in the evening. Earthquakes still going on, but the shortages seem to be over and the trains are running. P. assures me the radiation thing is okay; anyway, that's what the Japanese keep being assured. Hope it's true.

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...