Thursday, April 21, 2011

Great hiking day. Mary S. picked me up at 9:30 and we drove the few miles to Bass River Park. From there, went to Harrisville, a long-ago village and factory in the pine barrens, deserted for more than a hundred years. The remnants of the paper factory are still there, high walls of brick, partly covered with vines and moldering away in the woods.
We went a bit more than five miles at a good, brisk pace, pausing now and then to let the slower ones catch up. Stopped for lunch (I brought salad) at a lovely spot with a pond. It was great to get back to hiking. I've hiked at Harrisville before with the Outdoor Club, but we went on some different trails yesterday. There are some beautiful vistas, including ponds, streams, and lakes back there, all surrounded by towering trees. The weather was my very favorite--brilliantly sunny and warm. I was glad I left my coat in Mary's car; thought I might be cool with just a light top, but I was actually hot in a short time. It was a brisk walk and very invigorating. There were about twenty people there, a nice crowd, and I was amazed and thrilled when a couple, then two women who didn't know each other came up to me to compliment me on my role in Our Town. Two jokingly asked for my autograph and another wanted to know what I'd be in next. Boy, I was ecstatic.
Got home about 1:30 and hoo boy, did that shower feel good. Had a bite, then drove over to Produce Junction for veggies. Coming off the Parkway ramp, I bumped the fender of an SUV in front of me. The driver, a very nice women who gave me her card, is community liaison for Compassionate Care Hospice. She'll get the fender appraised, then let me know and if there was damage, I may decide to simply pay it rather than have my insurance go up.
Thought I'd go to the movies after, but the Tilton Theater was closed for no reason I could see. No sign on the door or anything, it was just locked. Okay, so what. I stopped at the cemetery on the way home and pulled a few weeds. It looks very nice with the combination of daffodils and shells.
Was happy to hear we'll be travelling to upstate Pennsy for Easter with the little boys. Made reservations at the Penns Wells Hotel, a lovely historic one in town. The others will bunk at J. and N.'s house.
Heavens--nothing scheduled for today, practically for the first time all month! Think I'll call Betty to see if she wants to meet for lunch.

No comments:

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...