Sunday, June 13, 2010

These beautiful days continue to be golden. Went on a nine-and-a-half mile hike with the Outdoor Club in Princeton yesterday. This was a "brisk pace" one and boy, it was brisk. Very invigorating. I'm glad I'm accustomed to not strolling when I walk; Susan and I cover our daily mile-and-a-half in about 20 minutes and the Walk Away The Pounds exercise I do three days a week is more intense.
First half of the hike was from the D & R Canal into the Princeton U. campus. It's been several years since I've been there, and what a gem it is. It's almost impossible not to believe that the people connected to the school--students, faculty, employees--are somehow better humans in some way: smarter, more beautiful, more morally upstanding. I know that's an idiotic notion, but they're surrounded by such incredible natural beauty and such thrilling architecture and the place is so steeped in history--how could they be other than perfect? Okay, okay, easily, I know. I suppose its exclusivity adds to the "best there is" impression.
Anyhoo, we stopped for about 15 minutes for "lunch." Actually, most of us had only a snack; I ate a small cup of applesauce, and some pretzels and raisins. Of course, we all had our water with us. We then started the second half--a five-mile walk on the canal path.
It was a wonderful day--sunny and warm, but not hot, and with gentle breezes. Nevertheless, walking rapidly with a pack on my back was a good workout. There were about ten of us and I was delighted to see again Sharon C., a librarian at Rider, whom I had known slightly when I was there.
Princeton is a good two hours from where I live now and I didn't get home until about 3:30. Jumped in the shower--and boy, did that feel good--then dressed for the monthly dinner with the "Friends, Food, and Fun" group. Five couples and three singles went--a nice-sized gang--and we had a ball. I ordered herb and garlic encrusted chicken, which came with pasta with oil and garlic (yes, I love garlic, non-Italian though I am) and it was superb. Also had a nice glass of Riesling and a frosty Coors Light.
Got home in the daylight (for some reason, these dinners always start very early; last night, we met at 5:00), got into my p.j.'s, poured my Country Red, and sighed with contentment after a day filled with good times.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...