Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Met Ellen V. for lunch at Applebee's and, as ever, had a good time. She's directing Blithe Spirit and I finally made the decision to audition for what's essentially the lead, the wacky psychic, Madame Arcati. It's going to be iffy whether I get it or not, considering I think Mary Ellen M. also has her eye on it. I'd settle for the much smaller, supporting role of Mrs. Bradman or even smaller, of the maid, Edith, but there may be a lot of competition for them, too.
After lunch, drove to the cemetery, but it seemed to be about to rain, so I didn't water. Turned out it didn't, just threatened annoyingly, with dark clouds and rumbles.
Scrabble today and Longwood Gardens on Wednesday.
WIDER: Before the recent primary election, I received a number of recorded phone calls from "my" (hell, no!) congressman, John Adler (d). Of course, I slammed the phone down immediately, but not before yelling, "F--- you." Did I vote? Certainly not. My walking companion and neighbor was shocked to the core when I told her I had no intention of voting. I don't believe in the two-party system and I sure as hell don't believe in John Adler. Here's what the slimy whore master has to say about our slaughter of other human beings:
"John is very proud of our servicemembers who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. Once our servicemembers have completed their missions, he believes it is time to safely bring our troops home. He appreciates the hard work and sacrifices our men and women in uniform have made to establish a foundation that we can diplomatically and politically build on to work towards peace in these unstable nations...."
Well, what is the mission John so soulfully encourages our "servicemembers" (since when is that one word?) to complete? Can anybody spell it out? What, exactly, does the completion of "the mission" look like? Any takers? Just let me know, because I've never been able to figure it out. And note the incredible arrogance of assuming it's up to us to "work toward peace"--hey, maybe for starters, we could quit killing people "in these unstable nations." And how come they're so unstable? Just because they have have an invading army tramping on them for years shouldn't lead to instability.
Here's another gem from John Boy's odious site:
"John strongly supports continuing to fight terrorist networks in the Middle East and around the world. In a post-9/11 world, it is important that the United States has the resources and tools necessary to combat terrorism through intelligence and military operations."
Omigod! Exceptionalism is alive and well in good ol' New Jersey! John is nothing if not an enthusiastic supporter of "military operations." Of course, "intelligence" is important, too--including, I'm willing to bet, a little torture there, a little rendition here; I've never noticed that John objects to either.
And here's the kicker: To my knowledge, all our elected "representatives" are more like Adler than not.
And you think I should vote? Don't be funny.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...