Monday, June 14, 2010

Went to the cemetery on a hot and humid Sunday. Watered the flowers on both graves thoroughly--I'm going to have to replace the pansies, as they're getting peaked--then stopped at Santori's for lots o' veggie goodies. Thought I might go to the pool, but decided against it. Enjoyed long phone chats with sister Betty and friend, Peg.
After lunch, I drove to Manahawkin to pick up a few things, then to Acme. It started to rain as I arrived home, which was okay by me, as I didn't have to water the tomatoes. Pared and cut up sweet potatoes, which I put in the slow cooker with orange juice and cinnamon. Had that for dinner, along with leftovers from the Saturday dinner out.
All these many weeks, I had had the DVD of Steel Magnolias, but never watched it. I was afraid to, thinking I'd be revealed as a terrible actress. Impulsively, I put it in, half hoping it wouldn't work.
But it did, and hoo-boy...it's pretty good! I looked absolutely terrible, something like the scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz because of my wattle and other loose skin; also seemed to have a hunchback , but came across not badly at all. What's most important is that I fit the part--a woman of a certain age who is a leading light in the town and who can be acerbic, but has a heart of gold. I viewed the show pretty objectively, I think, almost as a director. I know I delivered my lines effectively (and got a gratifying number of laughs), reacted to the other players naturally, and put in a fair amount of stage business (moving around, filing my nails, sipping my coffee) that fit well into the situations.
Topped off the day with a welcome phone call from daughter Ellen. She has just one more week of school, then freedom for the summer--happy day!
Am meeting fellow LETCO member, Ellen V., for lunch today. She played Ouiser in Magnolias and will direct Blithe Spirit.
WIDER: Want proof that we'll never leave Afghanistan? Headline from NYT:
U.S. Identifies Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan
Thnk we'll allow any country weaker than the U.S. to keep their own minerals? Repeat: We will never leave Afghanistan.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Will we ever leave Germany, Japan, Spain, Belgium and on and on? We are the Almighty, don't you know that?
Geez why are we not in Darfur and other places in sub saharan Africa...maybe Mexico needs us with their problems?
I don't have any answers....I truly believe the only thing we peace lovers can do is.....one to one i.e. practice peace on a one to one basis.....LOL as if that would work....no, we gotta have big guns to blow away those those who don't agree with us, or appear to be getting stronger than we. In due time things will change, but not in your or my lifetime.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...