Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Went to Scrabble. I proposed that we skip it for the summer, but it was decided to just meet once a month. I bowed out and said I'd resume in the fall. I dislike sitting in a house in beautiful weather, as it was yesterday, and in fact, I'm getting a little tired of it altogether. We meet at 1:00 and play three games, then have coffee and talk, so don't get home until 5:00 or so. As we play, we invariably munch on the salty and sugary snacks that we all put out; with coffee, it's cake or cookies. Oh, I could sit there for hours with that stuff at my elbow and not eat it, but I'm afraid I'm never that virtuous.
The political bent of my fellow Scrabblers, which they sometimes express, is wearisome, too, I'm afraid. It's the knee-jerk ultra-right kind, as it seems to be for the vast majority of my contemporaries: U.S. right, others wrong, the military are heroes, all Arabs are terrorists...and blah, blah, blah. Their leisure hours--and they have a lot of them--are spent watching television and their beliefs about the world are taken directly from "news" programs, without benefit of thought or challenge. Considering that the content of those programs is surely direct from Washington--well, I get tired of protesting the mindless acceptance of the philosophies of the scum of the earth, our "leaders."
Besides, Scrabble bores me.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...