Sunday, September 20, 2009

Susan lent me "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and I watched about an hour of it. It may not be the worst movie ever made, but it comes close.
In a lazy--or defiant--mood (watching television in the daytime seems to me the very definition of either decadence or moronic zoombie-ism), I then put in "The Departed," which I had seen for the first time in the actual movies. It's full of murder, mayhem, and naughty words, but also of Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, and Marc Wahlberg, three of my favorites, and boy, it's great! Watched the whole thing.
Other than that, nothing much going on.
Wider:
A DEAD STATESMAN
I could not dig: I dared not rob:
Therefore I lied to please the mob.
Now all my lies are proved untrue
And I must face the men I slew.
What tale shall serve me here among
Mine angry and defrauded young?
--Rudyard Kipling
Yes, poetry. May all our politicians dread the reckoning.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The poem is so appropriate for everything going on today. Thanks for sharing it. Here is a bit of TS Eliot which is also appropriate I think.

We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
Our dried voices, when
We whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless
As wind in dry grass
Or rats' feet over broken glass
In our dry cellar...

Mimi said...

Also appropriate, Rob--hollow and stuffed men (and women) are who we have running the country and the world.
But when will the angry and defrauded young rise up? Never, I'm afraid. As Kipling indicates, they're beyond that, thanks to the senseless, "patriotic" rhetoric they got from the politicians.

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...