Friday, September 18, 2009

Did something yesterday I've never done before in my life: I went to the movies by myself. Drove over to Hamilton Mall to get more thank-you notes, and had lunch there. Stopped at the cemetery on the way back to ask why Pat's grave isn't marked temporarily. Caretaker Dominick said the funeral service is supposed to provide a marker, and will ask George. I knew Julia & Julie was showing at the Tilton, so impulsively decided to go. Loved it--Meryl is beyond wonderful--and was pleasantly aware that I can do this for any subsequent shows I want to see.
A. came to take me to dinner at 5:00, so it was a very pleasant day all around.
Wider: In the sterling Anti-War. Com, Tom Engelhardt asks "Is America Hooked On War?" His dismal answer seems to be "yes," as he presents a well-reasoned argument for the affirmative. The whole article should be read, but here's one of his observations:
"Because the United States does not look like a militarized country, it’s hard for Americans to grasp that Washington is a war capital, that the United States is a war state, that it garrisons much of the planet, and that the norm for us is to be at war somewhere at any moment."
Yep, it's just business as usual to bomb and plunder around the globe--the American way, after all.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary, I would never go to the movie alone until something played that I wanted to see. I thought it was a big deal to go alone...just something I'd never do. Made that leap and now I can go whenever I want to see something that Rich doesn't. We both saw 'Julie and Julia' and we both loved it. So glad you did too. I did find looking at that delicious food to be tempting me, but I was OK. I'm very careful now when I sautee mushrooms 'not to crowd' them....ala Julie and Julia.

cemmcs said...

I'd been thinking about seeing that movie. Now, I defintely will. My wife wants to see it too, so I'll probably see it with her although I like seeing movies alone too. Thanks for the recommendation and keep up the good work.

Sunday

I reserved yesterday for chores.  Stripped the bed and washed the sheets while I had breakfast. It pleased me that, just as I responded to t...