Sunday, March 01, 2009

Talk about a slow pokey day. After my walk, WW, the usual chores, and I had settled Pat in, I sat on the sofa and watched television. Television! In the daytime!
Guess this signals my decline. Soon, I'll stay in my bathrobe all day and let dirty dishes pile up around me. They'll find me, stiff as a board, clutching the remote in one hand and a warm beer in the other.
Actually, I mildly enjoyed it. Pat had on "Survivor Man," which I assume means somebody is dropped off in a remote area--and so on. Guy was in the Amazon jungle and there was a full cast of ants and spiders--his dinner, as it turned out--plus he had a foot fungus. Here we go: art imitates life, as Pat has a foot fungus, a laughably minor ailment, for him, anyway.
We also watched an absorbing show about an expedition exploring the Lusitania, on its side in 300 feet of water since 1915. It's generally believed that the English government surreptitiously loaded explosives "for the war effort" on this commercial ship, thereby being directly responsible for the deaths of more than a thousand unsuspecting men, women, and children. When the Germans torpedoed it, there was a great outcry--"unprovoked," "diabolical," "let's get them back," etc.--and the incident helped fan the English war fever.
Well, thank heavens governments no longer hoodwink their citizens that way.
Talked to P. and N. on the web cam. P. assured me that the study of the Kallikak family (see yesterday's entry) is notorious for its racism, though it may be more like "classism," it seems to me.
Was delighted to have A. invite me up to be with her and the little boys today. If I can swing it and get Pat settled reasonably early, I'll go.

No comments:

Tuesday

As has been happening lately, I spent an age dealing with R.E. agent, Kim, and requirements  surrounding the house. I got the quarterly wate...