Saturday, February 28, 2009

Podiatrist came and gave me new instructions: I'm to soak Pat's feet in salted water, dry them with my hair, then wrap gauze around his infected toe. Okay, one of those directions is bogus.
Aside from that riveting news, all is bumping along normally ("the new normal," as we say in Wellspouse). It was a gorgeous, spring-like day, but I was in most of the time.
Called Jean C., the lady to whom I bring the library books, and made a date to stop in on Tuesday. Will get her some books first.
Enjoyed a web call from Mike and adorable Vivian. Incredibly, Violet is walking--at seven months! Mike holds on to her hands, but he doesn't just move her around--it's clear she's actually walking herself. Loved to see her laugh and coo--what a sweetie-pie.
Wider: The Press of Atlantic City reported on Obama's speech yesterday, and published a rundown on the proposed budget. Health and Human Services, for one, would receive 78.7 billion; Education 46.7, transportation 72.5. The largest piece was for Social Security: 695 billion. Next was the chunk for the Department of Death and Destruction: 533.7 billion. (Of course, politicians, being good little Orwellians, now call that department "Defense.")
What do you want to bet the pundits will sooner or later deplore SS spending as ruinously expensive and speeding the economy's rush to oblivion? And what will you bet the silence will be deafening about the "Defense" budget?
Yep, in Washington, there's a much bigger priority on slaughtering children than on supporting older people.
Later: Am back from Weight Watchers. Up .2, which translates into roughly 3 ounces, certainly inconsequential, but combined with the .8 rise last week, that means a current weight of 129. I'm still at a total loss of 70.6, but would definitely like to get back to 125. (Am I obsessive? Yes, but I have to be. Paraphrase: think of me as Scarlett when she clutched the carrots and vowed to heaven: "I'll never be tubby again!").

No comments:

Sunday

I reserved yesterday for chores.  Stripped the bed and washed the sheets while I had breakfast. It pleased me that, just as I responded to t...