Friday, February 20, 2009

Got back to "normal" ("the new normal," as we in Wellspouse say) yesterday. Did a lot of wash, re-made the guest room, and generally kept busy. Talked to sister Betty, Marge, A., and called SIL Regina to thank her for some great pictures she sent. These are of Pat's family, of which we have so few; they include pics of his mother as a young girl. It shows her with her brother, both of them wearing medallions to indicate they had won a dance contest. It isn't clear if Pat's father had been a later partner--that's what I was told, but the picture of him shows a young, attractive guy in a navy uniform--this was during the FIRST world war, kids. There are also two pictures of Pat's uncles, including Hugh, for whom he was named. What treasures! I'm going to enlarge and duplicate them and give them to each of our children.
It was nostalgia day all around: Nephew Wes put a wonderful home movie on YouTube. Much of it is of P.'s third birthday party and here are A. as a baby in the playpen, brother Larry and family, former neighbors and kids, Mom and Aunt Maggie--and Pat and me, so unbelievably young, thin, and careless of our good fortune in being alive. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMFvbzGIQTs
The mystery of time passing is one that's always haunted me. How could I be in my present state of decrepitude (actually, I may look like a 90-year-old, but I believe I'm in pretty good shape), yet also be that perky, laughing, happy young married with the two babies and the handsome, healthy husband?
Speaking of perky, I was amused by my figure in those far-off days. Not only did I have a 21-inch waist, but my pointy boobs were a sight to behold. As I remarked to Wes, they were bought, not homemade...
Wider: Here's the link to an enthralling "Frontline" show on health care in several countries. I was particularly interested in the piece on Japan's system. What a contrast to our craven approach!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/

4 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Thanks for posting that home-movie link. Which one are you? I'm guessing the lady in the white dress. Everybody's looking really happy. With such a good-sized crew of fine-looking babies and toddlers around, it's easy to be happy, I think.

Mimi said...

I'm not in the white dress, but in the brownish, printed dress. Near the end, I'm coming out of the house, mugging and smiling.

Jim Wetzel said...

Well, I'm happy to "meet" you, then, across both distance and time. I agree that you're looking absolutely gorgeous in the movie, but I greatly doubt you're looking "decrepit" or 90 years old today. It really is sort of amazing, what can be shared these days using the internet.

The little boy in the white shirt and red overalls: the birthday boy? Your son? He seems to be having a good time, anyway.

Mimi said...

Yes, that's our oldest of four. And our daughter is the baby in the playpen.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...