Wednesday, February 11, 2009

As ever, had a neat time at the Wellspouse meeting last night. Actually, it's a "meeting" only in the sense that a group of people meet together and have dinner; there's no real agenda.
The big news is that we'll be meeting in a different restaurant from here in--and that's fine with me, considering the food is lousy at the Empire diner.
As I'm the only person on the east coast who likes liver and onions, and I never cook it at home, I ordered that. I was asked how I wanted it cooked and I said "rare." What I got was a mess of over-cooked cardboard, of which I ate only a few mouthfuls--terrible! I brought it back to a waitress and said it was inedible and I didn't want to pay for it. Of course, she asked if I wanted another platter, but we were almost finished eating and I said I'd fill up on the salad bar instead. Later, they had the nerve to charge me $15 instead of $20, although the salad bar goes with the dinner!
Oh well, the hell with it. I only regret not enjoying some yummy liver.
Wider: I was stunned to read that the "economic stimulus plan," supposedly meant to create jobs and spur economic growth, includes $1 billion in funding for nuclear weapons! Is there no end to the duplicity of the scum of the earth, our elected leaders? This rancid pork, no doubt the repayment of favors (read "campaign funding") to the death-dealing manufacturers, is a perfect example of why I see no reason even to vote. All the pious propaganda about "your vote matters," "one vote can change the (insert one: 'town, state, country, world')," etc., is bullcrap of the purest ray serene. We have no chance to influence the outcome of this bill or any other action of government and we might as well give up trying.
Later: I'm happy to say I just got a message from Rev. Moore of the Coalition for Peace and Justice to the effect that the nuclear weapons funding was NOT included in the stimulus bill. I'm so glad.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...